Problems fixed on Exmarks Triton Deck??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengiant9963, Jan 3, 2007.

1. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I know there have been a few unhappy customers mainly in the north who have been unhappy with the new triton deck. Stringers , clumping, etc. They have addressed the problem with a kit and increased blade tip speed for the 07 models. Maybe this will help the stringer and quality of cut. But how is suppose to help on the clumping. Sorry I just remember reading on exmarks website that it was the triton deck that could mow in any weather conditions. So just wondering what gives is there adjustment suppose to help with all the problems. Just curious. For being if not the most expensive or close to it mower out there I think they need to stand behind what they claim this deck will do. Does anyone else agree.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We'll see what the future brings, but IMO I think they would just be better off to go with the UltraCut deck....Another prime example...If it's not broke, Don't FIX it!

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno hope it's fixed. I plan on buying one soon.

4. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

:usflag: Buy a Scag Turf Tiger, its the best cure to the Triton problems:usflag:

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard the best reviews "so far" for the 7 iron II decks (and Scag velocity) so I would just stay with what works for you. I haven't demo'ed the new Triton decks and am waiting to hear results from the next mowing season on how they preform. Having said that I own a Lazer with the Ultra cut deck. I wouldn't trade it for a Deere, or Scag just because they do a little better in wet grass. It cuts exellent in all but wet condition and the way it is designed has a lot to do with why I like it, not just the deck. Many of my customers like the cut so well they insist I use the Exmark. I like the John Deere deck and the Scag deck but the rest of the mower does not impress me. So I can't base my decision on just a deck. It seems to me ALL mowers are a compromise. They all seem to have their strong points and weak points so I will try to find the best overall mower when I buy next time. I think it will be late Spring before you will know the answer to your question when the new decks (Trition) have been put through the test with Spring growth. So I'm waiting just like you. On another note I don't see any price differences much with the top ZTR mowers exept Hustler which is consistently less expensive. Deere and Scag seem to be as high or higher. Also Deere does not have a decent air cooled engine line up from what I can tell. (if I am mistaken I apologize but they all seem underpowered for me in an air cooled) What do they have in the 27 to 35 range as far as air cooled goes?

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

tacoma,I agree with alot of what you are saying. I think that the 7 Iron and Scags new velocity decks are 2 of the best out there right now. I do have a Ultra Cut deck and it does leave a great cut. But using is side by side with the Deere there is no comparison on wet grass. I agree 100% about Deere not offering enough engine options. Would love it if the offered Kohler as a option. A 28 horse kohler EFI on a 60inch 7 iron deck would be a great combo.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think we are in complete agreement. Which is rare on Lawnsite.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Our 07 Lazer HP we ordered is a 50" (Triton deck) with a 27hp Kholer, it does come with the "upgraded deck" I kinda went a little overkill on the hp but I figured more hp is better than not enough. We demoed an 06 Lazer Z with a 66" Triton last season and it seemed to blow through everything we could throw at it, it had a 27 or 30hp Kholer engine. It left a great cut with no stringers or clumping (but it was fairly dry out). I was not impressed with the stripe it left or lack of stripe I should say, but as long as it cuts well I will be happy. IMO, mower's and decks are for cutting and discharging grass, stripe kits are for making it look "purdy".

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

To me.... this is a NON-ISSUE now for several reasons:

1) The upgraded Lazer AS w/UltraCut

2) Both of my decent local dealers are not selling eXmark anymore.
    One had it out w/eXmark, the other went out of business

3) My area won't see updated Tritons for a long time because floor sales have been so pathetic. The dealer here might have sold a couple stock items total.

Personally, If I were going to buy any eXmark it would have the UltraCut. I just have no faith in the Triton or the updates until I see proof in long-term field results.

Myself... I'd put the Command Cut deck on my Lesco up against anything, cutting anything, in any condition. Cuts everything as beautiful as the UltraCut, plus everything it doesn't AND handles the wet perfectly too with no mess and nothing to scrape. So I'm a happy camper

I have respect for the UltraCut, but I'm happy with what I have. The UltraCut might possibly have an advantage of being more horsepower efficient in heavy growth. But I would have to witness that in person. No way am I willing to give up the clear advantages I have already for a slight maybe of the UltraCut.

But Lesco IS in the same boat as John Deere with engine selections.
    You have to go to the Cub TANK version for engine selections.

10. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

these decks have all kinds of problems. yes they are working on them but do u want to buy a mower that has to be worked on or modified and i am a exmark man all the way not bashing telling the truth we are having a all out battle with them now