Problems from Ivan, now what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by khutch, Sep 17, 2004.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

my problems are small to many for sure, we had bad, bad flooding and I have had more personal damage and loss at my home than I was prepared for. But my question from a business side, I'm sure all my seed, fert & Pre-em from the last week are floating down the Chatahoochee on there way to the Gulf of Mexico. How do you handle this. Eat it and re-apply everything? Charge the customer again - "Act of God"? For me about 75% of my customers are all inclusive. Their monthly fees included the things I am talking about. I am torn between service and $$$$. My guess is 15 customers, average product (seed/fert) loss of about $60 - $100 each....

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. LawnSite Member

Very simple.

If you delivered the service or product to the property
    then you have lived up to your end. It is now the property of the owner.

Act of God. If Owner wants it re-done then they can add the loss to any insurance claim.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

"Acts of God" are not your responsibility. Your Customer are more worried about their homes right now and won't make you pay to re-apply. When serviced Lemons Make Lemonade. That mean make money from your loses to help you recover. Re-sell the jobs but at a price that will cover the extra grading work from the storm. Charge your normal hourly rate and don't price gouge.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Just as Ric said...treat your clients fairly with new treatments, if necessary at all, and you will probably get so much extra work from renovations and clean up work, you won't know what to do. I'll bet there will be a nice wide ,green area of grass all the way to the gulf through Alabama and Louisiana :D

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I also agree with Ric that most people are worried about the big stuff right now like the roof over there head.

6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had lots of rain and wind, supposedly several tornado's touched down but i dont know for sure.
    Its still raining now, i will be doing cleanup tomorrow and wont be-able to cut till Monday. :sleeping:

But boy i busted tail wed-thurs so i am not to far behind.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

While everyone is looking at this thread....I have to wonder if your Pre-M was washed out. I applied Pre-M to most of my accounts prior to Ivan coming in as well.

The rain we had was light to moderate for the first 8-12 hours or so. My theory is that the Pre-M was dissolved well before the torrential rains hit.

Anyone care to offer an opinion on that theory?