1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

problems using doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newblade, Jun 6, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

I used doubles today for the first time ever. I was impressed with the cutting ability but it didn't look like it did as good a job as the singles? I also noticed bogging down on the motor a little more. I have a 22hp kohler on a 60" exmark. I took them back off due to quality. Anyone else ever have any problems using doubles?
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Doubles will take some of the power away. Its going to have to work harder with 2X the weight on it. But a 22HP should be more the enough to run it.
  3. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

I used to run doubles on my HD 75(gators under high-lifts). I bought some Meg-Mos and now use them exclusively. I have found they do stay sharper longer, and they strain my motor less than doubles, but more than a single blade. Striping has also improved over a single blade, and is the same as a double blade set up. I do recommend the Meg-Mos to people, all the claims are true, except the wet grass and not scraping a deck.
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

First, weight has nothing to do with it, once it's spinning. I have 25 hp on my 54" machine and it's "just enough" power to run highlift doubles .22hp on a 60" machine is underpowered......Whatever other problems you may have, the first is you don't have enough power to run them properly.
  5. packerbacker

Coorect me if Im wrong but doesnt the motor run the pulleys which in turn run the belts which in turn run the spindles which in turn make the blades go?

If your running double blades your increasing the workload of everything else.
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

When I ran a 25hp Lazer I felt it was just enough to run doubles. I think 22hp would be just a little too under powered.
  7. packerbacker

We used to run them on 48 Exmarks with 17 HPs. It sounded like a helicoptor and you couldnt use a sulky but it did ok.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

22HP is really not even enough power for a 60" deck, then add the doubles and that is your problem. I am really quite shocked that they even offered a 60" (esp if it is a ZTR and not a WB) with just a 22 as the smallest I had seen on a 60" was a 23HP and I don't care for that one either as I think you need at least 25HP on a 60"
  9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Momentum....Thats the magic word. It takes more power to get it spinning than to keep it spinning. BUT, when the blade contacts grass, it loses its momentum and needs the power of the engine to bring it back up to speed, so, if you werent cutting grass, you wouldn't need all that power except when you first started the blades. Since you don't need a ride on blower, you don't have enough power.
  10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It's a simple physics problem. More blades means more weight. More weight requires more HP to keep it moving.