Problems w/ leaking sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HydroCutter, Jun 16, 2007.

1. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

I am wondering if I am the only one having a problem w/ my sprayers. I have 2 hand sprayers. Each 2.5 gals, one from Gilmour, one from Lesco. Each drips when in transport. I have the proper holders mounted in my trailer for them, and I always release all pressure from them after use. If I just shake the wand, it drips. When in my trailer, and I hit a bump, they drip. They are each brand new, so I don't think any O-rings would need to be replaced. Does anyone have this problem or can recommend a solution?

Thanks

Dave

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Replace the O-Rings in the trigger handle

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We never release pressure. You might try rigging your holders so that the wand points upward.

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine do the same thing , hate it , cheap crap .
    It's the fluid in the metal tubing between the nozzle & wand that keeps dripping out.

B&G makes a non drip wand altogether it's about $250
    I have one .

Tonight , I bought a ele hand held sprayer made by B&D .
    Will see how it works out in the following few days

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is a simple O ring seal and/or diaphragm. Cheap and easy fix. Get the actual O rings from like TSC or where you get sprayers. They need to be chemical resistant. The O rings like out of the boxes at places like Harbor Freight will not work (unless they are for chem. use)

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

I can't find my Tee Jet Catalog At this minute. But they make a Screen Check valve that stops drips under 5 PSI. This screen check valve goes right behind the tip like any other tip screen. They are used mostly on boom sprayers but are the same size as a back pack hand wand.

I agree with Runner about using Chemical resistant O rings etc.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

I only paid $ 189 at LESCO (believe That of Lesco?) for a one gallon Stainless Steel B&G with the no drip wand. Sounds like you got Ripped Off.

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric

I'm sure you bought yours back in the early 1980's .
    Things have changed since then .
    Or , maybe you bought the El Cheapo one

Most of them 1 gal tanks has a release pull valve .

The thingy that Ric is writing about will not fit and of them cheap home jobs .
    I may be wrong , although that would be very very very hard to believe

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

AirHead

No Actually bought a couple of B&G one gallons a few years ago. I wanted a New sprayer for Phatom since it is a netrual and only wanted to used it for neturals. The other is for all repellants. I saw it on sale at Lesco and desided it was time. Yes I have a B&G that is a lot older and still works fine.

As excellent a Can Sprayer that B&G makes I would not recommend them for L&O use.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought an RL ProFlow today at HD. It is a 3 gallon. I sent someone to buy a 2 gal. the other day. I even looked it up and had the model number. Once I opened it up, and put it together, I was surprised at what a piece of junk this was. It was all plastic. the pump handle AND shaft was plastic, and the spray hose was about as big as a McDonalds straw. I can pee faster than this thing put out. needless to say, I returned it today and got this one. I have always had good luck with RL ProFlo backpacks (Swissmex). The one I got this time is the model 1997HD. It is much heavier duty with a solid can, and steel cap, handle, and shaft. the hose is reinforced and much larger, and the wand and nozzle are brass. It also has a replaceable diaphragm. I just wanted this for spotting with Sevin, that I use for anthills, isolated chinchbug and grub areas, and for spraying roses and such. I realize that a backpack would perhaps be more efficient for quantities, but for the amount that I use this, and the space this small tube sprayer takes up (I carry 2 bp sprayers already...one with selective herbicides like Drive or manage, and one for Gly for hard surfaces, beds, and spray-offs). this works out well for me.