problems with a 36" used scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wiredawg, Mar 14, 2008.

1. wiredawg

wiredawg LawnSite Member

I just bought a used hydro, and while I am operating it, first off the brakes don't work. When I put the brakes on it still goes forward, backwards, left and right. It just kinda depends on what it wants to do. Also when I am turning the mower it will be turning just fine, and then all of a sudden it will turn sharply in the way that its moving. This obviously is not "normal", is there an easy fix, I am waiting for the dealer to call me back now. This is partly my fault for not testing it in the shop, I bought it and they put it on my trailer. The owner of the shop I bought it from is a friend of mine, so I am not worried about getting the shaft. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Brakes are bands so simply tighten them up but see if there is any tread left on the brakes. The neutral may not be adjusted but I assume you are pulling the forward lever back before putting on the brakes? You need to lube all those links to be sure they aren't sticking. And be sure the dump valves are closed and fuild level is correct.