Problems with blade engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mjmcneese, Jun 18, 2004.

1. mjmcneese

mjmcneese LawnSite Member

I've got a 52" Toro Proline (30761) - I pulled it out last night to mow, got two swipes done, then the blades disengaged, like I had let off the safety lever. Now it won't engage at all. It's electric PTO, and there's a safety lever on the T-bar handle. So, I'm guessing that either that switch went bad, or the electric PTO switch went bad, or there's something screwy with the clutch. Is there a way I can find out for sure what the culprit is before I go buy a bunch of parts?

Thanks a bunch!

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

the clutch has to be adjusted also, one and a while. I believe there has to be a .10 thousands clearance, talk to your dealer, he should help you with it.

3. mjmcneese

Thanks for the reply - I'll get to work on that clutch adjustment. If it is the clutch, wouldn't I still be able to hear the PTO trying to engage when I push the button? Thanks again for any help!

4. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

yes with the engine off but the key to run put all levers in the right place like it was running and engage the ele. pto switch you should hear it click when it ingages if you dont check the wires at the clutch and see if you have voltage if you dont back trace and check safty switches,pto switch,key switch,ect till you find the problem

5. mjmcneese

Thanks again, for your help. I was messing around with the clutch adjustment - there are three bolts that adjust the tension of the clutch - I need to run out and get a feeler gauge to check for proper adjustment. Anyway, I turned it on and got the blades to engage for a couple seconds, then the engine and everything turned off. Couldn't get it to do that again. Does that sound like an electrical problem? I'm not very electrically inclined, so I'm hoping that adjustments will fix me up - grass is getting high!!!

Thanks!!!

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

when you run out to buy that feeler guage, also get a cheap 12 volt test light. I think you will end up needing it, to troubleshoot the switch. Just a couple of dollars, and have it ready for when everyone tells you how to trace the 12 volts. It's handy to have around, anyhow.

7. mjmcneese

Well, I've got the clutch all adjusted - it was in good shape to begin with. I've tested all the switches and connections and I'm still perplexed. Once the dealer opens up here, I'll give them a buzz to see if they have any ideas. The only electrical thing I haven't been able to test is the coil inside the clutch itself - but that shouldn't have anything to do with the problem should it? The blades cut out on me when I'm mowing, and the electrical is only to engage the blades, right? Seems to me, if it were electrical, it would be some problem with the safety switch, but I know it's not that, now. I'll call the dealer later. Thanks, all, for your advice - any other ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

8. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

NO ELECTRAL HAS TO GO TO CLUTCH ALL THE TIME TO KEEP IT ENGAGED SO BLADES WILL TURN. IF IT WORKS FOR A WHILE THEN STOPS CHECK IT RIGHT AFTER IT QUITES. I WOULD START AT THE CLUTCH TO SEE IF YOU ARE GETTING VOLTS TO IT.YOU CAN RUN EXTRA LAED WIRES TO A LIGHT OR METER AND TAPE IT TO THE DASH WHERE YOU CAN SEE IT WHILE MOWING

9. mjmcneese

Thanks, all. Mudpie, that's exactly what we did - I had an electrical expert buddy stop over and measure voltage all over the mower. Finally got it narrowed down to a relay and some other module. Hopefully it's just a matter of finding those parts and replacing them. In short, the voltage coming out of the alternator is normally at 15-16v. When I push the button to engage the clutch, it drops to 3-5v. So, just seems like it's not maintaining enough voltage to get it engaged and keep it engaged. So, it's progress, I guess. Any other enlightenment greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

10. mudpie

mudpie LawnSite Member

wow I would probaley hook up a 12v. light to the wires right at the clutch and see how much voltage drop. with that much it may be the ele. clutch shorted