problems with dixie chopper

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mlyons1, May 31, 2008.

1. mlyons1

mlyons1 LawnSite Member

i have a 05 46 hrp 72 inch dixie chopper i paid around 11.000 dollars for this unit and it has been nothing but problems since i bought it this unit has less than 1000 hrs on it i change the oil every 50 hrs and grease once a week.i have had several problems but the one problem i keep having is belt breakage and i when i take the unit to see what the problem is they tell me every time it is the belts but i know it is not i had another dixie chopper a 23 hrp 60 inch cut had the mower for 5 yrs did not replace one belt i think something is not lined up right on my deck.i called dixie chopper home office and told them of all my problems and asked if the was a problem unit and of course they said no and acted like they didn"t care.i am very disappointed in dixie chooper for not standing behind their product.i took the unit to get it worked for the belt problem and motor missing cost me 251.00 dollars and the mower is in worst shape now than before i took it up there took it off the trailer and put it in my building and loaded my 01 woods ztr and used it.this unit has cost me alot of money and downtime just wondering what advice you can give me.thank you.

2. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I sold mine because it sucked. The dealer sucked too

3. mlyons1

mlyons1 LawnSite Member

i see you are from l-ville where did you buy your chopper? i got mine at taul equip in e-town.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

after that conversation if I were you I would no longer care what the problem is I would put a new belt on it and sell the mower right now.......

5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

There are shims available if the triangle plate pulley is misaligned from the main deck pulley. I would remove the triangle plate and clean the post it sits on really good with sandpaper the spray it down with fluid film ( I think grease dries out and keeps the triangle plate from pivoting like it should ) With the machine off, engage the manual pto and see how the two pulleys align, sometimes the triangle plate can get bent from going over curbs, the deck presses it up against the frame. If the motor was missing then that is a warranty issue and should have been covered.

6. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

Bad machine and a bad dealer got me a nice expensive piece of s**t to sit in my garage. I dont want to sell anyone else a headache so I just chalk it up as KNOWLEDGE. It seemed every time I took it back things got worse. I just went back to the old Exmark that was parked and I am happier now. Live and learn.

7. Stillwater

that is not a valid excuse to not sell the machine

8. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

Ok I really got tired of fixing it too. Some day I will fix it and sell it but too busy just keeping up to worry about it and pretty soon it will be so covered with stuff that I wont even see it. Maybe it will become a classic.

9. Stillwater

It would make a great lawn ornament plant some flowers around it mulch, mabey a little tombstone for it....

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Used to be a Chopper dealer, no longer am for some of the issues stated above

I can say that I have worked on a few twins. The thing you have to remember with the twins is the belt setup runs off a jackshaft, and not the engine. there are 2 bearings on the shaft. If bad, or not greased, they will vibrate, causing belt problems. You should have a grey deck if your chopper is an 03. Make sure you have the correct belt. I know there was a change somewhere when they went from black to grey deck. Also, Dixie went back and forth from raw edged to wrapped belt, now I think back to raw edge. The wrapped belt I think works best. Also, make sure it's a true B series belt, not a 5/8. A5/8 won't ride in the pulley correctly. Also, make sure the grooves in your steel pullies are'nt worn. I bet with almost 1000 hrs, they have a grove and will chew up your belt. They are not castiron like your old ojnes. cast iron lasts lots longer.

Also, remember with both engines running, you have 46 hP going through that belt. Before you had 23HP. After using, grab the belt. It should be warm, but not hot enough that you can't hold it. Good luck.