1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

problems with echo 261T????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MuleCutter, Sep 24, 2007.

1. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

hey guys. as some of you may have read i bought an Echo SRM 261T about a couple of months ago to replace my Stihl FS100. i LOVE the 261 but this past week it started running bad. i changed the air and fuel filters.... both were brown. i changed the plug and pulled the muffler to check for carbon and didnt find any build up. basically what it's doing is wanting to die when i pull the choke off and back to run at full throttle. either there's an air leak somewhere or the carb is bad. tomorrow i'm taking it to my dealer. just wanting to know who else has experienced this from their 261 after a couple of months.

p.s. - i ran it with the gas cap off also to make sure there wasnt a vent problem.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might need carb adjusted....the screw is hidden by a cap that has to be drilled out. Sometime weather changes necessitate tweaking the carb a little bit. By the way Echo has a vent...white device, but if it is clogged unloosenign the cap would let air in. I run several an it isn't unusual to tweak on them several times a year....need special shaped screw driver.
  3. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

yea... you're talking about the vent that sits under the engine shroud right? i tried blowing it out but have never heard of tweaking it. i'm takin it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.... any other opinions are appreciated. thanks ed!
  4. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with one of mine...turned out the carb was bad....My dealer said that some of the 261ts had bad carbs from echo...After he changed the carb its been an awesome trimmer....
  5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry double post..
  6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I just started to have the same problem...Its been about a week now and it will only run with 3/4 of the choke on...
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had nothing but problems with Echo since they have gone to carbs with no adjustments screws. I don't have the inclination or time to fool with a piece of machinery that doesn't work properly because of a bad design. I dumped all of my Echo stuff that didn't have adjustments screws for the carbs and replaced with Stihl.
  8. bigbear

bigbear LawnSite Member

had to adjust my carb a little drilled out the plug best trimmer power to weight ever lov mine nothing else ever
  9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

This same problem has occurred with every Echo trimmer I've owned. I'll never buy Echo's again. I know some guys like em but for me just a lot of headaches.:dizzy:
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of stuff as it gets older takes a little time to warm up, I know Echo is famous for needing about 2 minutes at partial throttle until it's ready. Used to drive me nuts, but even on a really busy day it's only 15-20 minutes.

You can try whatever, but that's been my fix-all for a long time now, usually works.