Problems with engine stalling while engaging electric clutch??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, May 2, 2002.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Try this....

Keep your choke on about 1/3. Thats it! It really seems to help me. I can now engage at just above idle and NO stalling.

Cant try it with my SCAG WB, as it doesn't have a seperate choke control. So you guys without a seperate choke control are out of luck here.

Last few weeks, the mornings have been cold here, and I let the LC Lazer warm up a few minutes on my first job of the morning. Sometimes this requires 1/3 choke to keep her running a bit rich. In the wet mornings, the clutch plates are often grabby due to rust, and the belts are also quite grabby. By keeping the choke on, and throttling it up just above idle, I can engage the PTO without any hiccups. Try it without the choke, and you need almost 1/2 throttle!

P.S. Dont forget to push the choke back in !!!

2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like some good advice. I've been studying clutches lately to see if there are heavier duty after market clutches made for most commercial mowers. After using doubles most of this year and never wanting to go back to singles I am trying to find out all I can about keeping clutches running right. My buddy 'wattsup' just burned his clutch up on his Snapper Pro and he hasn't been running doubles long at all nor does he cut super tall grass either; luckily it was still covered by warranty.
    Thanks again, I'm going to start trying that choke routine.

3. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

Thanks TLS
    I'll give it a try. It does drag my Lazer down somewhat trying to engage the blades with the throttle down low.
    Larry

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

This is something the manufacturers should look into. My manual says engaging the clutch at high RPMS reduces the life of the clutch....Well the stinkin thing stalls if the RPM's arn't high. Sounds like a catch 22 to me....

Give us a break Manufacturers..we need one

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Jimbo,

Give this choke thing a try! It really DOES work. I do it all the time now.

6. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

I've found that if I pulsate the clutch switch a few times on cold mornings, the blades will come up to speed without stalling the motor. Kohlers just don't like cold weather.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

OR ,

Buy a Chopper and forget about those electric cluthces.:D

Ok, I'll shut up.:rolleyes:

8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Hey TLS- Thanks, I will give it a try once this rain clears up! I thought something was wrong with my new LC Lazer the way it makes so much noise and bounces around and almost stalls,,, I cant wait to try this method.

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Known this for many years, always engage the clutch at the lowest rpm's as possible. It will increase the life of the clutch. It's sometimes a bear first thing in the morning, but after the engine is up to operating tempature it's engages pretty easily.

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Are you guys doing this only when cold?

I tried it and didn't seem to make any difference! I just throttle up to 1/2 and it seems to do OK.

.....I don't know Homer - that was actually one of the things I didn't like on the Chopper. With a manual clutch, the safty has to shut off the engine, every time you hop off the seat to pick up the trash people are soo nice to throw out!

Big, Bad Lazer - just idle down, hit the PTO, set the brake and get trash.

If you bypass the safety, and then if the chopper ever slings you off, it will chase you down and chop you up! :eek: