Problems with Kawisaki V-Twin?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Feb 10, 2002.

1. What are the problems with Kaw. v-twin you endure?

What about parts availability to fix probels?

Also how many hours do you have on your engines now?

And do you have the after market air filter for it? (If it's available)

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

the kawaski vtwins airfilters are in the front of the machine on walkbehinds, so whatever blowout you have, it all goes right into the airfilter causing you to have to clean it all the time. i have 30hrs on a 15 twin kawi and i have cleaned the air filter 4 times and it needs replacing. It was always caked with dirt, by the way this was on a 48 lesco which has the most blowout of any mower on the market imo.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

yeh, ive noticed the same thing of my 17 hp kawi scag. the air filter gets really dirty. other than that though, i havent had one problem with the motor. the only other thing that bugs me is that the oil drain plug is in a crappy position and it has a plastic extender on it which gets everything all covered with oil.

4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

when draining the oil on the 48 lesco with 15 kawi the oil covers the side of the machine and just misses getting all over the wheels and belts what a pain. This mower is leavin me soon thank god.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Godfather ive got a new scag with the 17hp Kaw,,this is my first experience with this engine. I sure hope your don't have to clean the air filter every 3 to 4 hrs. Im sold on the Vanguards ive got a 9yr old thats still going strong. My dealer asured me that parts would be no problem. I purchased three extra air filters and oil filters that should do me for a few months i hope. That engine replaced the Vanguards in 2000 because of volume price,i hope ill see atleast 3000hrs on it,my Vanguard is at 4876hrs. It does seem to run as quiet as the Guards, atleast ive got a 2yr warranty if problems arive. Ill keep you abreast on how it doe compared to my other engines, Suz, Kohler,Vanguard and Robin. Marks Mowing Service

6. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Lesco is becoming the wal-mart of mowers. It only takes a bad mower design to ruin your opinion of the entire machine components. I have had kawis on a few of my machines and they work great and last. Never had one with an hour meter until last year. My kohler powered exmark turf tracer is a good machine but the filter on it gets dirty quick. Dump the lesco and get a better machine with a kawi.

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 17hp Kawisaki V-Twin on my JD F-525. The engine has 425hrs on it and with no problems. The air filter seems to collect grass once in a while on the foam around the paper filter but i just clean that every so often. The engine doesnt use alot of oil or anything. Just hard to change the oil on it cause they put the drain screw under the machine, behind the tire. Otherwise it's the best thing about the piece of Junk :mad: F-525.
    Great engine, thinking of buying a Scag WB Hydro with the 17HP Kaw V-Twin on it to replace the JD.
    Matt (Lawnman)

8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

We have (2) 52'' Ferris's with Kawasaki's. Both of these mowers have 3 full seasons on them with NO major engine problems to report yet (knock on wood for (1) more season) . Hours on the machines... there is a TON. Figure 100+ lawns a week for 3 years straight... thats a ton of hours. I love the Kawasaki, I think its the best mower engine going...

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Only problem I had was finding a muffler when mine needed it. Other than that, its been good so far.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It is amazing what some people will put up with just because that is the way the machine came. For those of you with oil drain problems a search would have come up with a cure for this problem. Here is a quote from a message I started a long time ago.

"Since my Kawasaki 17 has a plastic drain plug and I recall a few other people discussing this I contacted my local Kawasaki dealer and got the parts to replace the plastic screw-in plug with a metal valve and adapter. The part numbers from Kawasaki are:

161267003 Valve $17.88
    590717004 Joint $3.08
    670D2016 O Ring $0.80

For those of you who are wondering why I didn't just go to the hardware store and buy these items there is a reason. The joint above has an O ring on the shoulder of it and it is metric threaded. Since the joint is metric threaded then the valve had to be the same way."

A hose can be put on the end of the valve and presto, no more messy oil changes.