Problems with Lazer Z

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by KerryB, Oct 22, 2003.

1. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have been experiencing a problem as of late with my Lazer 52" 20hp Kohler. It has progressivly been getting worse.
    First of all it only seems to happen while cutting a hill. I mow up the hill vertically and back down. I have been doing this since day one with this mower with no problems.
    The hill is 20degree incline. As I approach the top of the hill the mower starts shutting down. If I cut off the blades the engine picks back up before actually cutting off. It started a few months ago and only happened a time or two. Now it does it almost every time.
    I have had it in to the dealer that sold it to me with no help. They do not seem that interested with solving my problem. One of his employees works with me from time to time and contacted Kohler about this problem. At first I thought he would help but since it turned out not to be the carb. that is under recall he has since washed his hands of me. He now says that the hill is too steep.
    I am sorry but it hasnt been too steep for over a year now. As I said this is a recent problem and is getting worse.
    I have showed this hill to a few other dealers(other mower brands) they all say that they can handle it with no problem. lol I guess I would say the same. But I feel this is not the hills fault. I dont care what the problem is and I dont care if Exmark or Kohler stand behind the product, at this point I only want it resolved. I have too much work and cannot afford to be let down by my mower.
    I have never had any compaints about my Exmark. It has been a Godsend. But this problem is costing me money and that I cant have.
    Please help and thank you for your time. Suggestions please. anyone. I have also noticed a lifter noise from time to time and not on the hill. I feel that after two years of great service my Exmark is falling apart on me.It only has 346 hours on it. I have changed the oil and filter every 25 hrs. as well as used only Kohler filters and Mobil oil. All other suggested maint. is done on time every time at the dealer. He changes the oil for me by the way.
    Please help. Thank You

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

KerryB,

First the hill probably is steeper than we would recommend but that doesn't mean that it is the cause of the running issue you’re having.

It really sounds like your running out of fuel. As your going up the hill you add a little extra load to the mower. With the blades on that means the governor is probably kicking in and the engine is asking for more fuel. When you kick the blades of you take about 50-60% of the load of the engine and the governor backs off because the engine needs less fuel. This also allows the engine to get all fuel it needs to run while the load is removed.

A couple of things I'd try. First change the fuel filter.

Second, the next time you run a tank dry take it to the dealer and have the fuel grommet removed from the bottom of the tank and have the tank flushed to get any debris out. As the engine draws more fuel and as the fuel moves to the back of the tank you can was the screen on the fuel outlet with any debris that are in the tank. Since the fuel pump is sucking fuel out of the tank the debris collect on the screen and reduce the fuel flow. Also keep in mind that the fuel pick up is in the front of the tank. It is possible that if the fuel level is a little low in the tank you could starve the pick up if you are going up a hill. Try running it with a full tank of fuel and see what happens.

This is all theory. Without being there to see what it is actually doing we can only guess from here. Try these few suggestions and then get the unit into the dealership to have the carb looked at again. You never now it could be something as simple as a poorly adjusted choke. If the dealer can't figure it out let me know and we'll try to find one that can.

Thanks

Terry

3. KerryB

Thanks for such a quick reply Terry. I had it in to the dealer last month. I showed him that in the right tank there was what looked like plastic shavings from where the holes where drilled into the tank.
    He cleaned that tank and also checked to see if any of it had gotten into the carb. He replaced the fuel filter as well.
    I had thought at first maybe it was a low tank so I tried it with full tanks, I have tried it with both tanks and still the problem is there.
    Like I said it did fine for over a year but now it just seems to worsen each time I mow it.
    I do agree it sounds like a fuel problem. The new fuel filter installed by the dealer was not an oem part and looks smaller to me. It seems that the problem has gotten worse since he put that smaller fuel filter on.
    As for the size of the hill it runs from about 8 degrees to 20 degrees. I would say the biggest part is 15 degrees or so. Only a small portion is at 20 degrees.
    You dont have to worry about me doing anything steeper I am a big chicken so it takes some mental prep for me to do this one. lol

4. eXmark

KerryB,

It still sounds like carburetor or fuel restriction. In either case it could take some time to find. It's possible to have a fuel tank selector valve cause a restriction. I've even heard of debris build up making it past the tank pickup screen and building up in the pickup elbow.

If it is either a carb or a fuel line restriction you'll probably need to take it to the dealer for service. If the carb checks out I'd look at the fuel pump and then remove and blow out all fuel lines with compressed air.

Thanks

Terry

5. KerryB

Thanks Terry,
    Since my dealer says he already cked out the carb I will have him ck out the fuel pump and blow out all the lines.

6. eXmark

Kerry,

Ya, better ask him to call Kohler as well. We're not engine experts here but you’re welcome to any and all information we have.

I suppose as long as I'm spending this much time on this machine I'd replace the air filter and spark plugs as well. It also couldn't hurt to put a spark tester on it as well just to make sure both cylinders are firing properly.

Thanks

Terry

7. KerryB

Thanks Terry,
    I just changed the plugs and both air filters last month.
    The Kohler rep is suppose to be coming next week.
    The only thing I have not done is to change the Hydro filter. My dealer didnt have one at 300 hrs and still doesnt have one.
    Should I drain the entire Hydro system or just change the filter?

8. eXmark

Kerry B,

You dealer doesn't have a hydro filter???????????

Send me your address. I need to find out from the dealer why he/she does not have a hydro filter in stock. terry.eckert@exmark.com

When you change the filter follow your operator’s manual. Simplified version would go something like this.

Take new filter and fill it with Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic engine oil and allow to sit.

Place drain pan under the hydro filter.

Remove filter allowing all fluid the in the reservoir to empty into the drain pan. You may want to remove the reservoir cap as well.

Once the reservoir is drained, top off the new filter again and spin back onto the filter head making sure it's snug.

Fill the reservoir with fluid.

Let set for 15 - 20 minutes to allow as much air as possible to float to the top. After 20 minutes top of the reservoir, replace the cap and go cut grass.

If you forget to pre-fill the filter you will increase the amount of air in the hydro drive system to a level that may not allow it to operate correctly.

Thanks

Terry

9. KerryB

Thanks Terry,
    That sounds simple enough. Is there ever a need to drain and maybe flush the entire system as a preventative maintenance service?

10. eXmark

Kerry,

The only time you would ever need to completely drain the hydro system is if some put something other than Mobil 1 in the hydro system.

There is one other time I guess. If you decide to take your Lazer with you on a scuba diving vacation you'll need to flush the system.................Some people get really attached to their Lazer.

Thanks

Terry