Problems with my Stihl FS 76

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CanTree, Jun 9, 2008.

1. CanTree

CanTree LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl FS 76 and it's worked great over the years however this year I began having problems with the carb. The priming bulb wasn't picking up fuel so I installed a new carb kit and it seems to have helped. The problem now is that I can get the engine running and it runs well even at full throttle while it's sitting on the ground. It's not until I pick it up off the ground that it begins to sputter, almost like it's starved for fuel. I checked the fuel filter in the tank and that isn't the problem. Anyone have any ideas why the engine would only starve for fuel when I pick it up? I'm at a bit of a loss.

2. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

Have you checked the spark arrestor screen in the exhaust. If there is alot of buildup on the screen, it can cause it to not want to idle.

It is very easy to take the screen out to check it. Pull the back part of the plastic top cover off, and take the two screws out that hold the screen in place on the exhaust. The only tool that you need is the torx wrench that came with you trimmer.