Problems With New Echo PB 755

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by All_Toro_4ME, Oct 8, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Any of you guys have any problems with this type of blower. I was told because of all the EPA regs on them and restrictions, they have to make the engines more 'environmentally friendly' which results in the engine shutting down and will not start whatsoever at iall if it is polluting too much. Just bought mine and thinking of returning it to dealer for something else, different brand. Its a great blower, lots of power, but man is it ever finicky about starting. One second it starts right up, turn it off and try again 5 minutes later, forget about it, it ain't gonna start. At least mine won't. Brand new, less then 1 week old.
  2. Yard-Ape

Yard-Ape LawnSite Member

I've only had mine for about 6 months, but I couldn't be more pleased with it. First start of the day, I can either choke it and it starts on first pull, or I can forget about the choke and two pulls does the trick. Ready for full throttle immediately. No choke required for single pull starts the rest of the day. I'd take it back to the dealer for a look.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First off that thing about shut-down if it's polluting too much sounds like a load of crap, but I do know none of my 2-cyclers ever like to re-start when HOT, there's always the usual BS with these things. Yup, that 5-minute thing, I am so familiar with that, either remember NEVER shut it down until I am finished, or wait 15-20 until it's cool enough, they will NOT start in between, not Stihl either, they have all done this to me. You still have to shut it off to re-fuel thou...
    And that's only if I got it HOT first, that 5-minute thing, something about that in-between temp.

Stihl's 4 mix'rs don't seem to do it, but after some time they give me the usual start-up headaches, run great after the 2-minute warm-up game but beyond that I'm not sure it's much doing... Now that's after at least a full season's use thou... So I'm not 100% sure but if you can return it for something else I probably would, it almost sounds like it might be more than the usual bs.
    Because the last few times I did that, at the least the dealer got interested and checked into it, things were ok after that.

Do remember thou, if the next one does it or if any of your other 2-cyclers do it, some of this is normal assinine 2-cycler behaviour.
    I'd still return it if you're not happy, just to be sure you didn't get a lemon.
  4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is a year old and I havent had any of the problems you are talking about. Mine does not have the EPA stuff though. It always starts on the first full when warm and I choke it and it starts when its cold. The only problem I had was needing a new carberator but the dealer gave me a new one right away. All in all I am very happy with mine.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like it might be a venting issue. try loosening the fuel cap next it does this, and give it a few pulls.
  6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think all of Echos hard starting issues as well as running slightly rich started when they got rid of the adjustment screws on the carbs. I had problem after problem with the newer Echo equipment that had no carb screws. One day I had enough, went to my dealer and replaced every single piece of Echo with stihl. That was about 3-4 months ago. No problems with Stihl so far.
  7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

One sweet day, you folks will realize that the OEM's don't make the carbs and the OEM's dont have anything to do with the epa restrictions on the carbs and stop blaming echo and redmax and everyone else for carb issues. THEY DON'T MAKE THEM!!!!

Echo didn't take screws off the carbs, the manufacturer did. Yes, Walbro and Zama. Guess what, it was the same on all other vendors. Then when they had problems, they put them back on. The K70 rotary carbs were the most notable. Many of these carbs have adjustment screws, they are just hidden so the users can't touch them. I know where they are!!! Hahaha.

Some carbs have adjustment screws........some don't. They change from model to model and year to year. It's the EPA, not the equipment manufacturers.

Now, no , this automatic shutdown story is bull.

To start a 755, switch on, throttle in full, choke, prime 3 x, pull 2-3 times max. Shut down off and pull , should fire right up.

Once hot, should start right up at idle with no choke and priming.

If it doesn't do these things, there is a problem. If it's shutting down on you and not starting back up, It may have a faulty coil. That's what I would look at first. Too easy to check spark not to.
  8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote: One sweet day, you folks will realize that the OEM's don't make the carbs and the OEM's dont have anything to do with the epa restrictions on the carbs and stop blaming echo and redmax and everyone else for carb issues. THEY DON'T MAKE THEM!!!!

Ok then......Echo chose a manufactor who doesn't provide carb adjustment screws. Who cares? As far as I'm concerned it's Echos problem. It's like saying Chevy doesn't make the radio in your truck but you've been having problems with it. Either way, I'm done with Echo because of the carbs that are on them. Other equipment manufactors such as Stihl have adjustments screws on their newer stuff. I don't know why Echo chose to go this route and after replacing all of my hand helds, I really don't care. All I want is a dependable piece of equipment that will stand up to the day to day use. Echo wasn't doing that for me any longer.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Been using mine since mid summer. No problems. Starts right up, hot or cold. Instantly has full power available.
  10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have the same problems with stihl products plus many other problems.
    I have had what Tallimeca said a faulty coil being a pain to restart when the motor was warm.
    i run all echo and never had a problem except for having to change plugs. I even have a 5 year old ph 650h blower and it still starts on the first pull.