Problems with plow lights!?!?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Cutter1, Dec 8, 2000.

1. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We are having problems with our new truck. Its a 2000 Chevy 2500 silverado :) Somehow the lights are messed up and we can't figure it out. THis is confusing so, bare with me. When the plow lights are on the left head light is out. This only happens when it is on low beam. I know its the bulb, already checked that. When you put the high beems on, they work fine. This is the tricky part. When you put the left turn signal on, the head light along with the running lights blink, including the truck head light!! I checked the grounds and connections, so any thoughts would help. I would take it in to get looked at, but we are expecting more snow and don't have the time.

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Trade it in on a 2001.

Just kidding.

I can't help you, but if you email Chuck Smith (one of our moderators), he'll probably be able to help you. He knows all there is about plow stuff.

3. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

need to know what plow lights you have how many wires come out of them and if you have drl ,let me know this and i can help you.

4. Alan

Alan Member

For what it's worth, our newest Sno-Way came with one of those automatic relays that switch over your plow lights when you connect the plow. Since we had an older plow that used the old, low tech, manueal switch and wanted both plows the same, we took otu the relay system and went back to the manual setup on the newer plow. Couple reasons for this, first and foremost, RELIABILITY! It's pretty cheap and easy to keep an extra DPDT switch on hand and you can swap it out in a few minutes. The old system, while low tech, works every time, and if I had to I could hot wire past the swtich and get lights working. Second is cost, the manual switch is well under $10. I didn't price a relay but I know it's gotta be more than that.

Along the way I discovered that while it looks like a complicated wiring job, wiring plow lights through a manual switch is walk in the park.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You have a ground problem. Double-check the connections. Could also be a defective lighting relay not giving a proper ground.

6. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm with lawnguy,Do the lights flash together or alternate?If they alternate somehow your turn signals are using your headlights as a ground.One other thing do your headlights come on when your switch is in the running light position,if so your headlights are wired in to your running lights.

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

They don't come on when they are in the running light position. I called the place where we got the plow. THey also said it was a bad ground. Still looking for it, I'm going to end up taking it in to get looked at. I give up!! THere are so many wires on the new plow set up, compared to the old ones!!

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Definetely a ground problem,make sure the ground is good,no rust on connections or corrosion.I have had no troubel with the fisher MM relay system on 2 plows in 7 yrs.I keep everything in dielectric grease,its cheap insurance.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed that the new meyer lights ground everything through one wire. The old lights used to ground turn signal and running light through plate that held mounting bolt. It might be possible that the lights are using the headlight as a ground or the opposite.

10. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

After careful consideration, my professional opinion is that it must be that little munchkin dude under the hood that is pinching the wires together every time the dink-a-dink routine starts with the turning switch.

I HATE when that happens and I have to chase him out from next to the battery......