Problems with Rain-Bird 5000's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MOlawnman, Jun 10, 2006.

1. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Has anyone here been experiencing problems with the RB 5004 rotors? I have had several that just quit rotating or the left trip stopped "tripping". the guys at Ewing tell me that i am not the only one with this type of problem.

I have gotten so fed up with these junk heads that i am now using PGP's. I am so much happier.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, i only use a couple cases a season, just do a little reapir work, and iv'e had a couple quit on me after a week or so, one in my own yard! but they DO have a 5 year warranty, take em in when you go and they will replace them. Yes it's a PITA, especially when it's the customers grass at stake, and most people never check their sprinklers.

For the spray pattern and ease of use I would NOT trade the RE-5000's for anything else though. There's a few bad apples out there of every brand.... These ARE cheap parts assembled in foreign countries, remember?

3. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

I have been having problems with them as well. We had 3 fail on one job recently. I spoke with the supplier I get them from and he said that they are seeing a lot of failures. He also said that RB had recalled all of the 3500's they had on the shelf. Sounds like they need to recall the 5000's as well.

4. I was burned on the t-birds in the early 90's. Since then I have never installed another Rain Bird rotor. Different name but the same internal parts.

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

yeh i cant get any 3500's either... had to go to hunter pgj

6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

What happened?

-Russ

7. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

No problem's with the 3500 here. Just dont crank on the internal shaft when adjusting them, leave them loose on the funny L , turn the body. I've put in about 60 of them this year

8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We have gone through 175 without any problems. With over 780 5004's installed this year we have had around 18 seals go bad since May.

9. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Just replaced 10 5004's on one property just the other day. There are a total of 109 5004's on that property so I feel that 10% is not a very good ratio. Put in the PGP, much happier.

As far as the 3500, replaced 15 of them 2 weeks ago with 1804's fitted with MP Rotators. the 3500 is more a piece of junk that the 5004, in my opinion.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its going to take one hell of a rotor to sway me from the PGP.