problems with recoil starter on honda.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TClawn, Nov 2, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up a used hrc216 for 20 bucks and sometimes the recoil starter does not catch the fly wheel and sometimes it does but most of the time I'm left pulling air. :(

is their some way to fix this or do I have to buy a whole new recoil assembly?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You'll probibly have to get a new recoil assembly.

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If there is a weak link on these motors, its the recoil assy. Try removing the assy and spraying it with WD-40 or the like. There are two metal "dogs" that fly out as you pull the rope. Make sure they are working properly and the lil springs are intact.

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

DO NOT use WD40 on anything like recoil starters. While WD40 is preached to be great for many things, a recoil starter is the last place you should be spraying that stuff. It may lubricate great, but collects dirt like crazy. Find you a nice drying silicone spray. I forget the brand, but it comes in a yellow can and they work rather nicely and don't collect dust/dirt/debris.

5. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

a complete new recoil assembly for the HRC 216 runs about $15.00

6. beransfixitinc

Not sure where you got your info from, but try closer to $60 (which is the housing and all.. since you said complete, I assume this is what you were talking about.)

7. mower_medic

I get them from Hayward Supply. I mark them up 40% from what it costs me and sell them for $15.00. This is for the HRC 216 Honda Commercial mower with the GXV160 Engine on it.How many would you like me to order for you? I have 3 of them on hand right now and can get more usually within 2-3 days.

8. beransfixitinc

Wow, this simply amazes me how you are able to get this original Honda part so cheaply. Not trying to be sarcastic.. but you must have a special deal going there.

9. mower_medic

No special deal. I buy them for about $10.70 and sell them for $15.00. That's the same price Hayward supply charges everyone.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Forget putting a $10 replacement part on your unit.....blow the dirt out with a compressor and it will be fine. I run a lot of units and have never had to replace one yet...and never broke a rope.