Problems with Redmax blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K-OS, Nov 16, 2005.

1. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

I just bought a Redmax 8000 blower. After about 1 week of use, the machine started smoking from the pullstart. Then it started sputtering, and eventually backfiring.

I brought it in, the guy looked at it and said it was too much grease in the pullstart. Then he checked the spark plug, the thing was FINISHED! 1 week of use and it's already dead??

Is this normal? Has anyone had this problem? I havent had a chance to try it again to see if it works properly with the new plug, but he tried it for a while and it was good.

2. JMB

JMB LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have run several tanks through mine and haven't had any problems at all. Sounds like it is running to rich. Are you sure about your oil mix?

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is what I was thinking as well

Sounds like you fried it

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Pull the spark arrestor

5. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

The spark arrestor is out, the dealer did that when he sold it to me.

As far as the mix goes, Ive been using Opti2 oil and 50:1 mix for about 20 years now, none of my machines ever blew.

If the mix would eb bad, wouldn't it smoke? especially if it's too rich? There is no blue smoke coming out.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

"Smoking from the pull start" sounds like you got some type a problem with the starter rope mechanism. And if it is okay check the crankshaft oil seal maybe it popped out.

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I had one last week blow the motor, rings broke and gouged up cylinder. They are putting a new motor on it under warranty.