Problems with scag walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Aug 19, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I have a new scag walkbehind (beltdrive) only about 30-35 hrs on the machine. While mowing the other day i started to notice a strip of uncut grass down the center of the left blade. I checked under the deck and everything looks normal. It doesnt happen every pass but quite often. I am using my 21 for now. I hope someone can tell me what is wrong so i can fix it not the dealer.
    Knowing me its probally something really simple.
    Thanks for the help
    Jhawk71

2. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

A few things to check:

I assume you have sharpened your blades...

Check to make sure you did'nt round off the edges of that blade. That could caus a small area that the blades cut do not meet up with the next blade.

Check the spindle for play. Bearings could be loose or defective and cause rise on the blade or the shaft may seize at times to reduce the RPM of the blade and not cut as well.

I know this sound stupid but check to make sure you did not install the blade upside down.

Check to make sure the spacing washers are in the proper place under the deck on each blade shaft.

Check the tension of the belts. Make sure they do not slip in heavy grass.

Last thing I can think of is to check for grass build up under the deck that might cause the vacume under the deck to be affected. This could cuse reduced lift and some passes may not get the same cut as others.

I hope this info helps but if not maybe someone else has better advice for you.

:confused: :confused:

3. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

the only thing i can add to the fireman response is if the spindle is squeaking pump that spindle full of grease. It could take 50-60 pumps if it is squeaking. I have noticed the left side always loses its grease faster.

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

In the Scag operator's manual, at least for mine, there is a whole section in the back that shows different pictures of what it could be and what to check. If you don't have a manaual, go to your nearest scag dealer and ask for one. I think they run for like $8. Here is what I can tell you from my manual, these are some possibilities and things that might help

1. Dull blades-sharpen them
    2. Incorrect blade sharpening-sharpen blades
    3. Low engine RPM-run your engine at fuill 3600 RPM
    4. Belt slipping-adjust belt tension
    5. Deck plugged(grass accumulation)-clean underside of deck
    6. Ground speed too fast-slow speed to adjust for condition
    7. Wet grass-cut after grass has dried out
    8. Bent blades-replace blades
    9. Tire pressure-make sure your tire pressure is even on both sides or with 1 lb.
    10. Deck is mounted wrong-remount deck

That's all I can think of for now

5. Lohr Equipment & Wel

Lohr Equipment & Wel LawnSite Member

Look at the timing of the blades. Sometimes the blades pass each other too closely creating turbulence right were they pass each other.Do everything the other guys said to do and then with the sparkplug wire removed set the blades one going perpendicular to the other,Hope that helps

6. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

jhawk, My bunton was doing that a few months ago. I went out and bought some of the blades that have a sharpened edge from the tip of the blade to the center hole on each side. I forgot what the name of them was but it started with a "B". Hope this helps, it worked great for me. There is an example of them on Eric's website. http://elmlawnsite.com/double_blades.htm I'm talking about blade #1.

Good Luck