problems with springs on scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dr9, Oct 17, 2006.

1. dr9

dr9 LawnSite Member

Have a new 61" wildcat with the velocity deck and in the past month I have broke the spring the holds the idler for the belt on the chute side 2 times. has anyone else had this problem? Mower only has 61 hours, going back into the shop to see if they can figure out the problem. Just wondering if anyone here knew what was causing this. Thanks.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

No,problems with ours keep a backup spring.
  3. dr9

dr9 LawnSite Member

I do keep a back-up spring, just didn't think I would need to be replacing it every other week. Usually when I keep back-ups I never need to use them!
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is there something wedged in one of your pulleys?

Sticks, pine cones, dirt, etc can wedge in the crack of your pulleys and cause your belt to vibrate. This will wreck havoc with an idler system, and cause it's early demise.
  5. dr9

dr9 LawnSite Member

thanks, I have checked and there doesn't seem to be anything in there that would cause that. Also I try and blow everything off when I get done mowing a yard before putting it in the trailer.
  6. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Scag Tiger Cub and have the same problem. Not even 60 hours on it and the spring broke. Looking at the brake, it looks like poor casting. My dealer had 3 in stock but had no answer as to why it broke. He did tell me to put some grease on the post where the spring attaches.