1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problems With Stihl FS90 Bogging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToughAsStihl, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I have a brand new Stihl FS90 Trimmer/Brushcutter. I got it on Wednesday and It was bogging of the low end right when I gave it throttle. So I brought it into the dealer to have them check it out. Well they fixed it for about 5 min. After that back to bogging. Now it also smells as though the clutch is burning up. :realmad:

Has anyone else had this problem?

They adjusted the valves and lubed the trimmer head.
  2. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Check your spark arrestor. By law your dealer cannot remove it. They often become plugged and cause the unit to bog down.....Mike
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I love backyard mechanics, don't you? The thing is brand new! I'm surprised he didn't say to change the spark plug too.

You have a bad carburetor. It needs repair.

I'd take the tool back to your dealer and simply ask that they replace it. Don't waste your time waiting for it to get fixed. You paid a pile of money for the thing to run great right from the start. Let him send it back to Stihl to deal with it at the factory.
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it back to the dealer its under warranty. Tell you got a lemon and you want another trimmer:clapping:
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is this another brand/model without an adjustment for changing gas inlet into the carb?
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another pos from sthil!
  7. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl sure seems to be having more than their share of problems! My dealer is a large Stihl dealer and it is amazing how many of the new 4 mix units are in for warranty repair at any given time. His whole back roon is full of them most of the time especially the new back packs!

Even the dealer salesmen are running scared and pushing Echo now.

How the mighty have fallen......
  8. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Thanks I brought it in again and they are going to look at it. They said that they haven't had problems with the 4 mix. Unfortunately they couldn't get it done today and they didn't have any FS90's to swap so they gave me a free rental trimmer so that I could finish my jobs this weekend. I think it will work out in the end.

To all of you Stihl haters I have had great luck with other Stihl products and would not choose a different company.
  9. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm learning more & more, the products are only as good as the dealers/repair personnel that know the product. Unfortunately I've moved 3 hrs away from the most knowledgeable Stihl dealer I've ever met. They know the product backward & forwards & inside out. The dealers where I live now recently took on the Stihl line, after it was taken away from a tool rental chain (there mechanics were good too). Now it's just "product", a name brand to have in the show room, but they don't know squat about the product. I have an FS85R trimmer & FC85 edger, an 031AV chain saw and a a BG85 blower. They all work great!

But no more Stihl for me, 'cause there's no where for service. In fact, I "went out on a limb", and bought a Tanaka 210S hedge trimmer last week. It works really well. I'm impressed. Depending on the tool, I will buy where I know the service is good and the product is well received by the industry. No brand loyalty, just what works!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well if you removed the cover that keeps your string a certain length and you've let out a slew of string, that would be my first guess.
    Because it makes sense, actually.... Low rpm bogging, dealer fixes it, then a few minutes later the same problem.

Hopefully, that fixes it. :)