Process for Mulchbeds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cpllawncare, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ryan alyssa

ryan alyssa LawnSite Member

Well also a lot of times the old stuff gets compacted and moldy you probably only want about two to three inches at any time. I usualy take a good look at that and if need be factor stripping the old into the price
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

@Ryan and lawnman: I am assuming in both examples you guys give we are talking about NEW customer - I cannot imagine tell an existing customer that I screwed up last year and put too much mulch down and some got molded so I have to charge you to take it out :confused:

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I still don't understand... are you just adding new mulch without allowing the old mulch to decay into the soil?

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I take mulch away is when previous guy volcano'ed around a tree. If its to "high" in a bed just rake it over and top dress or dust new over it to get a fresh look.

Take that back I'll remove mulch if there is a drastic color change and I can't bury it I.E. red existing mulch.

5. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

some customers just like the pretty colors of the fresh stuff, and I'm happy to give the customer 100% of what they want:)

6. ryan alyssa

ryan alyssa LawnSite Member

I only srip the old when it did not decompose from the year before. A lot of new jobs have had other company's that never took the old out and would just keep pyling it in there. Not only unatractive but not healthy for the landscape either. I never just pile the mulch in. Couple other things for the processes that we do are spread the mulch by hand and than with a good flat hard rake tamp it all down makes for a nice smooth appearance. When I get some time and figure the picture thing out I will post some pics of our work. I think it looks pretty good

7. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Like ryan alyssa said and If it is around a tree you don't want a volcano around it because does more harm then good.

8. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Old mulch and the fungus that grows in it are mostly good things for the plants and soil.
    There are good and bad fungus, but what moist mulch does is grow beneficial fungus.

Sometimes there is too much mulch if it is overflowing onto the walkways or is over four inches depth. Four inches and more of mulch will create a situation where the bed will tend to be either too dry or two wet. It is debatable, but I think that two inches mulch is optimum.

I see jobs where people have just put down more and more mulch to make it look good and there is just too much. If you are removing mulch then you are putting down too much, or you just may need to do edging.

Throwing away old mulch is wasteful. Old mulch is better for the soil and plants than new mulch.

9. MarkintheGarden

If a customer insists, or if someone has put down to much mulch, I will remove it and use it to amend soil. Or it can be used where you do not need good looking mulch like vegetable gardens.

10. MarkintheGarden

Smallaxe, I think that the fertilizer-rapid growth-infestation scenario is only when over-fertilizing. Like over-mulching these things are done to make a buck.
    I agree that most perennials do well on good mulch alone, but some perform much better with small, timely applications of the right type of fertilizer.

My experience confirmed my education that when it comes to both fertilizer and mulch a little goes a long way. I have and continue to try different things. In general it is prudent practice to apply half of the manufacturers reccomended application for most uses. When I want to produce traffic stopping displays of flowers, I use the full recommended dosage.