prodiamine and pendi are trash!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nathan Robinson, Apr 24, 2007.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I have only found you talking about conventional materials, so just checking, with a name of Organics in it how do you explain the factor that you are basically doing everything a conventional company is doing. I think you just want to pass your name along like you are offering something better, but as your bottom line decreases you will revert to conventional material. or offer a very limited use of organic material. thus just becoming like 95 percent of lawn care companies. Good luck!

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Just making mention of the fact you call your self organic and just throw a app or 2 down of Organic fertilizer and use convetional pesticides to solve the real issues people hire lawn companies.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i talked to purdue, and they said that using organics (fert) has actualy caused more problems, ie. disease, then using a 'conventional' program this came from latin? he is the professor that gives lectures on turf disease at purdue. i spoke with him at the green expo in indy, and he was in the prosses of publishing the findings. i thought about an organic fert plan, but there's no way i'm going to buy a bag of fert for $40 and it only cover 8k, talk about sticking it to your customers! i'm quite happy with my fert program.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I see that Nathan posted, did it say something like ...Blah blah blah blah blah?

5. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

Where do you get that I only use one or 2 apps of organics? Just wondering where you gather your not so accurate info there Jason. Doing everything conventially? again, Where did and when did I say that?

6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that is paying close to $17 for corn gluten because she is afraid for her dogs, and she's getting another hit on monday. Certain people will go for it if they really want it and you can sell it. I'ts def. not for everyone, but are willing, especially if they are animal WACKO's.:) Good Luck this year.

7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete
    Whats your take on broadleaf control using prodiamine. This is my first time using it, i've always used Dimension. I'm having a hell of a time with chickweed coming through. I think it's carry over from last year and the warm winter we had. Any thoughts?

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I seriously doubt this. Since starting to work for an organic based company, I've sprayed fungicides twice in the last 3 years. Both on properties with customers abusing the irrigation schedules. A lot of university studies are skewed by the people doing the funding. It doesn't matter if that comes from Purdue, Penn State, etc.(Looks like this was already posted)

Also, CGM is not for everyone but I'd say 15% of our customers do get it and pay for it they do.

9. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

cemars. Its going to be hot tomarrow. I am worried about you in your old days. Drink water, stay cool and beat the heat.

10. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Shades,

Prodiamine is for grassy weeds. Not at all a good product for broadleaves.

Chickweed is a winter annual and germinates in the Fall.

If you are Not doing any fall seeding, you could put down Pre-M with or without fert. for your Sept app. for the chickweed problem.

OR you could wait until mid to late october, just before leaf fall of the trees, and spray your Post-Emergent herbicide(this will kill the newely emerged chickweed B 4 it goes to seed and that helps break the cycle).....any late August - Sept overseeding would in no way be supressed or injured by the late post herbicide app.

When I did use Dimension I really did not pay attention to any broadleaf supression.......I used the product as it was Pre and Post for Crab. I will tell you at the rate I applied it for Northern Turf, it had NO post-emergence value, from what I saw. Digging deeper on that product, I learned it did not have a long half life in the soil, and needed to split app.

That would not work for my program as 1st app is fert only based on soil test from previous late November, and 3rd app. is a rotation of either Mach II or Merit, as most of my lawns are in sunny locations with many of the trees and shrubs Jap. and other beetles in the White Grub Complex love. Sod webworm is bad in my area also. So a single, long lasting Pre- Emergence for Crab is a must.

I have the broadleaf issue pretty much under control too. I see a few when I do my app. 3 in Late June/Early July and spot spray them, along with any Early breakthrough Crab along walks...Though very little. Was using Trimec Plus, and when that runs out, I will use their Q 4.

I feel kinda lucky to have a program that works for me.....Only took me 22 Years LOL. (I'm still learning)

I will say too that Pendimethlin, Barricade and Dimension are all very good products......None of them trash for sure.

Decide what will work best for you :)

Pete D.