Prodiamine and Trimec Southern question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by marc417, Sep 21, 2012.

1. marc417

marc417 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. i just bought some simazine to try in a month or so. How do you gyys feel about me spraying some trimec southern now
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I advised him to try Celcius...I've used it on centipede with great results.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

When I first got into the business, the only broadleaf weed controls available were the Trimec products, Banvel or 2,4-D. I once applied Trimec Southern at the centipede grass rate. That application was a total failure. Not only did it yellow and damage the centipede, it also failed to kill the weeds. Celsius, or even the 0.25-0.5 oz rate of Manor is now my go to for centipede weed control. The only place I would consider Trimec is on zoysia or bermuda as a cheap application. Those are the only grasses that tolerate rates that provide acceptable weed control.

4. marc417

marc417 LawnSite Member

In my limited time investigating the app rate per acre and # of apps per 10 oz. container, it seems that celsius is pretty pricey. is it usually around $120/10 oz container providing 4 acres per bottle?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. greendoctor

Balance that with safety to labeled turf and efficacy on weeds. Control failures and/or damage to the lawn can cost me much more than even the most expensive product. Celsius is not supposed to cost $120 unless it is from a non agency vendor.

6. marc417

marc417 LawnSite Member

How much are you guys buying Celsius for ? Would I be good to spray some Celsius within the next few days and then maybe spray some Simazine end of Oct or 1st of Nov

7. greendoctor

Celsius is about $80 for me. $120 sounds like a price from online vendors catering to homeowners and unlicensed applicators.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

$80 for Celcius is right...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. greendoctor

I paid $70 per ounce for Manor a year ago. Price of that came down quite a bit. Am I upset? NO. Having that product enabled me to control weeds not phased by other products.

10. cecropia11

cecropia11 LawnSite Member

can prodiamine be used on kuntucky 31 tall fescue also can prodiamine be used on perinial blue grass ass the label states that it will remove anual blue grass