Product questions

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by Turfdude, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you give us a brief comparison of momentum vs its replacement momentum fx (I think it is)..

Also - please settle the dispute of snapshot pre-mulch vs. post mulch.

Thank you.

2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Turf Dude -- I can tackle the first question, and I'm checking w/ our Tech Services guys for an answer to the second.

Momentum FX, the new Momentum product, features a new active ingredient - fluroxypyr - in place of clopyralid. The fluroxypyr is one of three actives in Momentum FX, along w/ 2,4-D and triclopyr. The primary new benefit to Momentum FX is the quick control of clover, which can certainly be troublesome. We're hearing reports of control starting within 48 hours of application.

Let me know if you have any other questions of Momentum FX, and I'll let you know what I find out about Snapshot pre- and post-mulch.

Thanks,
    Bob

3. Turfdude

Very cool. We picked up 2 cases of momentum to last us thru November as we know thats the legal deadline for this product. Thanks... keep me appraised re: the snapshot.

4. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

A lot of our customers have done the same thing, TurfDude -- they are buying up the previous formulation of Momentum w/ clopyralid while it is still around.

As for the Snapshot, here's what our herbicide guru told me... If you are going to use a granular product for weed control in beds, he recommends you apply the product, such as Snapshot, after you put down the mulch. The key reason for this is that weed seeds can easily land in mulch, which is organic matter, and germinate there, above your weed barrier.

Now, the obvious downside to this approach is you may not want the granular product visible in the beds waiting to get watered in. In that case, you may want to consider a liquid application, such as Gallery.

Or, if you're committed to a granular application, consider some of the LESCO Pre-M combination products, which are labeled for application in beds and will provide some potassium fertilization to the plants in the beds. Just check w/ your local LESCO Service Center for the best Pre-M product in your area.

Bob

5. Turfdude

Thank you. I used to apply the product prior to mulching as I've read it better to get a soil contact. However, I have been doing it more after the topdressing of mulch for the reason you mentioned. Also, since the majority of our mulching is in March-May, we are always getting a lot of rain. In the past 10 days, we have received close to 5" alone. Thanks for your replies.