1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Product review forum?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by kc2006, Jun 14, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been reading for weeks on here about different z's since i'm going to be purchasing one soon and I thought that it might be alittle easier if there was a product review forum. I see a few guys doing it already just here and there, maybe this way it would make it easier to find reviews for products instead of going threw hundreds of threads of hear-say and babble.
  2. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I think KC2006 might be on to something
  3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

IT surely would make life easier, I'm up for it. :)
  4. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

5. kc2006

Sean, I thought about this alittle bit and heres what I think. From what I saw on other websites theres always the two different ways of running a review forum. One is leaving it open so people can reply to other posts and say what they want. Two is to lock them (like the for sale section) and then people start to cry about not being able to voice their opinion.

The down fall of each. System one's downfall is it normally turns into a war of one person loves it, one person hates it for this reason or the next then it gets ugly and it doesn't help anyone because they have to sort threw 50 replys to see the 5 replys that are on topic (this is how alot of the review posts or "what do you think of XXXXX" posts are now on LS). The second system's downfall is people that have legitimate discussion aren't allowed to talk about the good/bad points.

As we all saw in the previous posts you get the 50% of people willing to help others and then the 50% of people that say stupid stuff and waste time. My thought on this all is to make the review board a....(get ready for this, this is going to be rough) forum that is moderated at a higher level. In other words if you say something stupid that has nothing to do with the subject at hand it gets deleted. Plain and simple. The forum would be devoted only to threads where someone has demo'd something and give's their opinion on it or people posting threads asking for legitimate responses on a product and not getting the normal 50% of help, 25% of sarcasm, and 25% of "buy this brand instead" or "hire a professional".

To get around the freedom of opinion situation I would post a sticky with rules for that forum or have it posted on the top of the forum. Clearly stating the rules about how its for legitmate professional responses ONLY.

I'm totally willing to help out with the forum if you do deside to get it running, you guys (the rest of the moderators) have a big enough task with the rest of the board so I just wanted to toss out the offer to help keep an eye on this one forum if you wanted. And I have no problem being called a "nazi" when it comes time to taking out the trash :D
  6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

kc2006 - thanks for posting. I would be open to the idea of you "manning" the review section forum...specific guidelines would have to be laid out first... here's what you can do - outline specifically how you would want this forum to operate then email me at lawnsite@comcast.net and we can discuss further...I really agree it would be a great addition to the site, but as you stated it could be a real headache if things aren't done the right way
  7. kc2006

Sent you the email Sean.
  8. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Big fan of this idea for what it's worth.
  9. kc2006

Just wondering if this was still going to happen.

My offer for watching over it is still good. :cool: