1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Product that breaks down clay?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by carolinaborn82, May 3, 2008.

1. carolinaborn82

carolinaborn82 LawnSite Member

What is the name of the product that you can spread out on clay surfaces that helps to break down the clay and allows it to be more pourous so that you can grow grass? Where can you buy it. I have spread it out 400 times at the golf course and can't seem to remember what the name of the stuff is.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking PermaTill?
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

How about "Gypsum"
  4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Gypsum is designed for this purpose. You can buy it at any Lesco/John Deere Landscapes Location.
  5. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

I got my gypsum at Menards this year for .86 per pound were as JDL was at 1.26 per pound. Gypsum is gypsum no matter were you go. I do them right after aeration works great. Also helps with dog damage too.
  6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What's the application rate per 1000 sq ft?
  7. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

Since the gypsum I have used in the past has varied in granular size so much that I try to apply between 4 to 6 lbs per thousand but the bag says you can go alot heavier than that. I have gone heavier than that if there is alot of clay or lots of dog damage. Great product we sell lots of them.
  8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

gypsum, also i heard that humates work well in that regard
  9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Colorado State would call it a wives tale since Calcium is already quite high in CO soils. Around here we can expect some inprovement on clay. You gotta know your local soils before you can negate the Gypsum option.

Humates, Aeration, Hydratain, Soil-Master, Turface, etc. These are all tools to use when the time & conditions permit or require.

Rates for gypsum are going to be over 150lbs/M if any effect is to be expected. Do a soil test first.