Product Warranties

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn guy, Jun 3, 2007.

1. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

If I buy a trimmer from Home Depo and Bring it to a dealer for service how does he know that the item is still under warranty? Do I have to send in the card that comes with the manuals? What if I dont sent the card in?

2. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

You should probably bring in a proof of purchase, which could either be your HD receipt or your copy of the warranty card. You do need to send in the warranty card.

Also, before you bring in what you bought, make sure the dealer will perform warranty service on equipment they didn't sell. I know some dealers won't, especially smaller dealers who can't compete with HD on price.

3. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

If they wont service it then where would you service a product purchased at home depot? Also let me see if i got this correct. I just bring the item to be serviced and the receipt and were good to go?:drinkup: :clapping:

4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

You need something to prove you purchased it and to tell them when you purchased it. A receipt gives them that information.

I know that on larger commercial equipment, it is important to send in the registration card. So I would think it would be a good idea to send the one in you have.

As far as servicing equipment, dealers that won't do warranty work on equipment they don't sell, will be glad to service that equipment and charge you. If you run into a dealer like that, you just have to find one that will do warranty work, or pay for it yourself.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Also, most products purchased from HD or Lowes do not carry a commercial use warranty of more than 60 days, if any at all.

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

a) why the hell would you buy anything from Home Depot anyway? No parts, no service, same prices as the dealer carries it for.

b)if you didn't buy it from the dealer, and it breaks, plan on not seeing it for a while if you bring it in for service because they have to take care of their purchasing customers first.

c) The products is only warrantied to the original owners. Warranty card must be filed and proof or purchase must be presented at the dealership when you drop it off . Most dealerships will take a deposit on the equipment in the case it is not a warranty repair and you decide not to fix it, their tech didn't spend time on it for nothing. If it is warranty, they will return your deposit when you pick up the equipment.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Take it back to home depot....They have a service department dont they?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Spare yourself the headache, if you want the dealer to service it, then buy it from that dealer and be done with it.

What I'm saying is, I buy some machines from out of state (like a Kohler engine) and yes, the warranty papers say that any authorized dealer WILL honor the warranty should a repair require it, but see it doesn't work like that.

The dealers never come right out and tell me they won't touch it (actually we had one who used to lol), mainly because they don't need me calling Kohler about it... But they do just give me the run around and yadda yadda yadda and feed me the bs until I get it: Don't bring me your problem that you bought someplace else.

Now for me, I have learned to accept this, and I no longer expect the dealers to service my stuff.
    I just do it all myself, it took time and some doing, but I feel I'm as well if not better off, either way it's feasible.

So, either you plan to fix it yourself and buy it wherever you feel like, or buy it from the dealer whom you intend to have it serviced by, then you avoid these headaches.

9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I do agree....now that I have bought 6 Mowers from my dealer, I get A plus service....compared to how I was treated when I first started and they told me it would be about a week before I could get my machine back.....now I either get a quick fix or a loaner, but no more downtime. I am going to this auction they have here for some new mowers and misc things. I know Brickman, Valley Crest, and High Grove all get rid of their old stuff this there, but have seen some pretty nice buys for some great prices. Hopefully I will have some luck also. But I wonder what will be said when I bring in all the equipment for service.

10. outdoorpowerrep

outdoorpowerrep LawnSite Member

I agree with Tallimeca. Support your local dealer, and your dealer will support you with the "after the sale" service. People assume that the box stores are cheaper than the dealers. This is normally not true. If the box store is a little cheaper due to blowing out inventory, the small difference is quickly made up with the value of having a dealer work on the product in a timely manner. Most box stores send their service work to the local dealers anyway. Kinda a no brainer.