1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Production Old School vs New

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Nov 22, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

zt spreader sprayer, vs push spreader tanksprayer ww/ hose.

What was a good avg day production per day did you haveold school?
    What kind of production ZT sprayer?

I am looking for residential
    What is the most on a commercial field
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

We probably average 10 acres per day with either PG or turf tracker in a "normal day" of residential lawn. It has more to do with lawn size, but if we're on school grounds, parks, etc... 20 acres per machine isn't unheard of. In my CL days, again, it depended on lawn size. It was all about dollar amounts and goals, not acreage, but a country route with big lawns guys would pump out 1200 gal. at 3 gal. per M. That's 10 acres +/- (400,000) I had a very small average lawn size (4,000) and would do probably 30-35 lawns per day average, so that's, what, 120-130,000. The kicker to all this is how you feel at the end of the day. That's the biggest payof with the ride-ons.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Machines really pay off more on larger areas...but they still work great on smaller lawns (10K).

The thing I like about machines is you can do 10-15 acres per day and you are not even tired at the end of the day!

I usually hit between 5-15 acres/day on residential depending on the size of the lawns.

You definitly won't walk that much in one day!
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I just found some data for big lawns in October. Using PG Ultra and applying both fertilizer and weed killer. On a 37,000 sqft lawn I averaged in total about 67 seconds per 1000 sqft. Next week I did an 88,000 sqft lawn in 81 minutes, (55 seconds per 1,000 sqft). Of course, considerable time is wasted refilling the hopper and mixing new tanks of weed killer.
  5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

so i see the production on the ride ons, what was your production ols school push spreader and spray hose?
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I can honestly say I have never pulled a hose except to spray trees and perimeter pest.

I have always used tractor and then switched to my PG.
  7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I was always very fast with the hose and spray-gun! maybe even faster than a pg on smaller lawns. but I was beat at the end of the day! now with a pg and a Zspray I can do more because I'm not tired at the end of the day (or the next morning)
  8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

One other thing, consistency. You're not overapplying by the end of the day due to a slower walking speed.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A good test. Please someone do this:
    Choose an average 15,000 sqft lawn. Spread fertilizer with a Perma green, timing the application exactly. Then pull out the hose and spray it with weed control--again timing it carefully. Which is faster?

Of course if you are applying weed control, you need to add (to the Permagreen time), about one-half of the time needed to refill the Permagreen tank, and gas up. (If you assume you refill the tank after two 15,000 sqft

I suspect the hose is faster on lawns less than 15,000 sqft. And what about quality factors? Which do your cutomers prefer? Which does the best job? Do you have to get out a hand sprayer and do narrow strips around the edges and flowers? Equal green? Equal chance of stripes? Equal weed control? Crabgrass?

Its driving me nuts! If the average lawn size for the day is 10,000 sqft--some bigger--some smaller. Should i use the Permagreen or hose it for the day? (I apply liquified fertilizer and weed control).
  10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

you will also need to factor in equipment maintenance. which method requires less maintenance? (personally I think the answer is a no-brainer, but I post the question regardless)

...tighten a few hose clamps weekly/monthly, rebuild pump yearly, replace hose as needed(after several years)

...or, replace belts weekly, replace pumps monthly, replace cables as needed(weekly/monthly) replace ball bearings, replace the parts that get eaten up from corrosion, lets see, I'm trying to remember all the problems we have had with our PG's...its a long list. Yes, you have less fatigue at the end of a day...but you'll need your energy to make those repairs

I am an old school guy. Our average lawn size is 9,000sf. For best results I swear by hose/tank

the PGs are nice when you have lawns across the street from each other whereas a hose you'll need to reel in and make that U-turn then pull the hose back out (which saves you minutes...really not that big of a deal)

But, everyone needs to use what works best for them