Production Process and Job Costing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cg1, Mar 31, 2007.

1. cg1

cg1 LawnSite Member

This is an area that I feel like I'm losing control over. We have 5 crews, about 20 production employees, and 2 managers that run production. I'd like to know how some of you schedule and assign jobs to multiple crews, how track materials and labor per job, and then how you job cost with that data.

For example, when we sell a job, we assign man hours to it. We assign each crew we have to 8 hrs/day of production per man (we run 10 hr days). Next, we assign the job to a crew and post in on a whiteboard. Three work orders are then generated - one for the crew, office, and manager. This way, everyone knows what is involved with each job. I have the office call to locate utilities and order bulk landscape materials and plants to be delivered. The manager is responsible for ordering and scheduling hardscape materials. As various items are completed, we color code the whiteboard with dots.

I have a problem tracking labor. I've tried the job clock system, but that proved to be very expensive and cumbersome for us. Currently we rely on each crew leader to manually write where they've been and for how long, and what activities they were doing, but we don't always get accurate data on every person.

At the end of the job, we run quickbooks reports for P&L by job for job costing. Copies of vendor receipts are attached to the job cost report, and the originals are filed under vendor by month. THis works great only if ALL data has been captured and entered in a timely manner, including labor.

I'm exploring QXpress as a complete operational platform to help me with this, but it is somewhat user underfriendly and will take a while to learn. What I do like about QX is that the calendar feature for all the crews you set up is an electronic job board.

What do you do?