production w/ 72" exmark, 35 hrse

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mlbock, Nov 16, 2007.

1. mlbock

mlbock LawnSite Member

Hey,
    Does anyone have any production rates with this size mower? I'm bidding
    on 65 acres of finish cutting. I have production rates on 72 w/28 hrse but
    I hear there is no comparison to the newer model.
    Thanks

2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

35 hp? I did not realize they offered a 35hp model. The majority of my seat time is on a 27 hp diesel with 72 inch deck. I would say real time per hour would be about 4-5 acres an hour on the 27 hp diesel. I know they claim more but this is wide open mowing with no obsticles. I am talking about large school type properties.

3. mlbock

mlbock LawnSite Member

yes. they just came out with a briggs engine, i believe. i've seen a couple and the
    people that have them say they're the cats meow!!!

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a big Briggs but I doubt your production will go up much unless you are cutting thick grass. I am much more productive on some of my property's because they are bi-weekly and you never have to slow like I did with a 27 hp. I would still highly recommend the large engine (Briggs). It has a good track record and once you get used to all that power it's hard to go back. No doubt you will be somewhat more productive. A 28 gas powered ZTR with a 72" deck is a little low for my taste. Here is a link to Exmark's productivity chart. I'm not sure it's accurate due to so many variables. I agree with Packy, 4-5 acres per hr would be what I woud expect in good conditions.

http://www.exmark.com/productivity.htm

5. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

What iis the price difference between the big briggs and the diesel? I loved the diesel I used and wish I still had it. It would cut thick thick turf with out even breaking a sweat. will the big briggs do the same. I am looking to steop back up to a much larger Z and I loved the exmark. so that is where i think I am going back to.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The big Briggs will keep up with the diesel in my opinion and then some with a much simpler set up and lighter weight.

Of course the advantages of the Diesel are longevity and better fuel economy. My big Briggs has been using between 1.3-1.4 gallons per hr while a diesel should use less than 1 gph. There are advantages to each set up. But I am guessing a diesel will cost a couple of grand more but that's just a guess.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If we're talking about 2007 models, there is the productivity factor of 15mph from the Exmark XS models.