Productivity. 21" VS. 32"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I was using my new 32 inch. mower, and I think i was more productive with my 21inch mower last year. It is a belt driven, and it was the first time this season I used it. Kinda wierd how I could mow faster with a smaller mower.

The weight deffinitly made a big difference.

Trevor

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I sometimes can mower faster with a smaller machine, it all depends on the size of the yard and it's layout, sometimes the smaller machines are more maneuverable making it easier and faster than the bigger machines, well just my 2 cents anyway.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

that also was a huge factor...The layout of the lawn. Made a big diff.

Trevor

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I found the same thing happened to me when I tried a 32" toro, a 32" ferris and a 33' troybilt compared to a 21" toro. If the lots are small and tightly landscaped, the 21" seems to go faster especially if there is a lot of turning and backing up or ditches. However, if the area is flat and loosely landscaped, the 32" wins hands down. You have to have quite a few lawns for the 32" to be truly productive. Of the ones, I tried, the troybilt was easiest and lightest to move but hated the cut, the toro 32" is a great machine but being unable to instantly go in reverse slows it down. The ferris 32" hydro was the best simply due to instant forward and reverse.