Productivity by job type (not about $)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GarPA, Feb 29, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

It might be intersting for us to share avg production numbers for certain job types. THis is not about $ per hour. Rates are pure averages, not hard facts. I;ll share a few of mine:

* Aeration: 5k/hr (no slopes/hills)..my machine is slower than most
    * Hand edge exisintg bed edges includes disposing of edge clods on property : 150ft/hr
    * Machine re-edging: 250ft/hr - includes brushing soil back into beds

any others you watn to add, have at it..

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Gar, im on that number as well.

3. GarPA

from PA

hey mac...I never cease to be amazed at which threads get activity and which ones, like this one, die on the vine. Its not like we're talking company fees here. Oh well, I guess allot of folks dont care to share these averages or perhaps dont know their averages. I was looking forward to at leat a few replies from some landscape veterans

4. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I usually don't use these types of methods for figuring out how long a certain aspect of a job wiil take. In the past, I used similar numbers (feet per hour for edging or square feet of pavers layed per hour). Now, I look at the job as a whole, and figure how many days it will take (if less than a day, it is a half-day min.).

With a crew of 3 men, if you are off by a couple hours on your estimating, the loss of revenue comes out of your pocket. I find it more accurate to base my estimating on what I expect a crew to do in a day.

I realize that breaking out each task and estimating the feet per hour or cubic yards per hour, etc. may bring you the same results. However, if those hours end up totaling 3/4 of a day, IMO we should all charge for a full day.

5. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

I'll pipe up here...
    The question is on average, right? Not, "how long to mow an acre? " "Well that depends an how many trees" ect. Been there done that.

To hand edge on average I am between 50 and 75 feet an hour. It seem by the time I am called everything is out of controll. I do not do weekly maintanence. When I do a bed, it is a complete recondition.

Aeration...I am at least twice as fast as you. I will travel in two directions and take my time as to not make the client feel I am charging to much.

Machine re-edging...after I clean up the mess...maybe a couple hundred feet per hour.

Everyone will have something that they are more proficient at then the next guy. The real money maker. Mine is pruning and planting. Got it down.

This year I have some privet I will shape into something patriotic. Maybe an eagle flying.

6. GarPA

from PA

Thanks LadiB...yes my aeration machine is a tank and wont get out of its own way...in fact the aeration topic is the reason I posted this thread because I knew I was behind the curve on this one

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Isnt it sadly ironic that this topic has only recieved 112 views in 3 days? wow, what does that say?

8. GarPA

from PA

mac ...thank you for saying what I've been thinking. I never cease to be amazed here on what threads get responses. I;d bet dollars to donuts that part of it is that some "businesses" and I use that term loosely, dont know or care not to know, their production rates....and its not like we're talking prices here

now we'll proably get some response after our comments since some people here care more about arguing than the business of business. ...oh well...next time I want a response to a thread I'll title it "Show me a picture of your dog, or your truck, or your sofa on the front porch...."

9. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Production man hours is the most important number you can track in any kind of contracting business. Material costs are pretty easy to track and control. Labor is the biggest expense and the hardest to control. Another mistake contractors make is not keeping track of equipment costs and charging them to the jobs properly. There to you need production rates to track those costs.

Even if you are lumping your jobs by the half day or whole day, you still need a good feel for your production capability in order to come up with the number of half days you need.

Another reason for tracking production rates, is that you can project the number of manhours for the job up front, and that gives the crew a goal. We all know the positive effect that goal setting has.

Every expert I have ever heard talk about estimating and profitability etc in this business has focused on production man hours.

Yes, this thread should be burning up with posts. I really don't know why people would not want to share some of their rates.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

10. GarPA

from PA

thanks Doug for reaffirming what I'm trying to get at here.
    Like I said above I'll bet part of the problem is that some dont have a clue what their production rates are. I cant imagine succeeding in this biz without that date....particlulary, because the product we sell is TIME...not widgets or cars or jeans.

The silence on this topic here speaks volumes on the stare of our industry...sadly