productivity of adding another mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, May 22, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sitting here wasting the day away pondering if it would be sensible to add a 48 in WB to the list of equipment. What i am thinking is, sell the troy Bilt 33" (sucks) and go with a 48 in walk behind. I have a couple lawns that are just to scary to do anymore with the ZTR. Next week i will be adding a second guy.. MEaning a crew of two.
    Most of the lawns have a front/back, which can easily be done with the ZTR, but the WB would be nice. Also i have a couple lawns that will not work well with a two man crew and one mower IE: he will finish trimming/edging before i finish cutting.

If we add a second mower, we would be able to take on probably another 25 jobs, and work a three day week. That would put us at about 65 jobs.

Financially wise, if i bought it, i would be able to finance it and pay it off.

Any input. I know this is very vague, but i am seriously contemplating it.

Trevor

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the question to ask yourself is, do I really need it?

Only you can answer this question. Are you just getting it to have another mower, or will it be put to good use?

3. Trevors Lawn Care

I guess that is one thing i am wondering. For several lawns it would work well meaning he does back, i do front, but that would also require adding additional blower/trimmer because if we both finish at the same time this would put us back in the same problem of one finishing before the other.

KNOW WHAT I MEAN

trevor

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

always have at least 2 trimmers with you when you go out. I would purchase the additional trimmer before the mower

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

What is scary about mowing these lawns with a ZTR?

Slopes? Water?

I just bought a 62" ZTR to go with my 52" and production is WAY up.

I got rid of all my walk behinds.

They all have their place though.

If size/gates/slopes is not the issue it's hard to argue that a ZTR will always be more productive than a W/B.

What exactly are you getting at, seems like there is more you're not saying.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

MAN, decisions, decisions, decisions...I do have the 'ol homeowner trimmer, could always use that, for a week or two.

trevor

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are worried that the helper would be sitting around waiting for you on a couple of lawns, put him on the mower and you sit down and take abreak. How about stepping up to a bigger trailer so you can use both mowers, Have 2 trimmers and blowers. This way everybody will be busy all the time.
    I never sell the old equipment, keep it for backup, as its usually worth more to me than to someone else.

8. Trevors Lawn Care

there is nothing wrong with the size of the trailer. I just bought that a couple weeks ago. It will work fine. i will easily be able to fit a WB and ZTR in there. As of right now, nobody rides the Z 'cept me.

Trevor

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not like the 2nd wb mower would evaporate if you didn't use it all the time. Even if you only used it on lawns where you needed a 2nd major mower it's still probably worth having.

You will now have a good sized REAL backup for your ztr if it goes down for a few days

You will always have the proper mower for the job.

Your new wb will last a long time if not used constantly.

The only real carrying cost of an additional mower is the interest on the value of it. That's maybe $25/month if financed at typical rates I hear of in the biz. It's better to fund it out of savings since your cost there is really low. A mower will also have a depreciation cost, but that will happen with whichever mower you use (33" pos or new 48") and every blade of grass it cuts is one your ztr isn't, so that is pretty much a wash.

I doubt you'd be able to do 25 more lawns with the new wb if that's what you're saying above. But it would make you more efficient.

The cost of equipment in this biz is really a lot less than it seems when gasping at the big price tags on some of them, IF you actually need the mower. It sounds expensive, but amortized over their life, it's pretty cheap compared to the other costs out there. So get what you need. This is assuming you are financially stable and able to cover the payments.

10. Trevors Lawn Care

adding 25 more jobs per week would be adding a third day full time day to the schedule. I agree i think i am gonna buy one.

Trevor