Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Nov 12, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I am boss man but yet I try to be out in the field during the day.

My problem is I think I am way more productive than most of the guys. What takes 2 guys and 3 hours I seem to be able to get that same job done in 2.5 hours with myself. I have two main guys but keep motivated is hard. One is awesome - balls to wall but when 2-3 in the afternoon hit - he should just go home. The other is little more paced but still.

Most jobs are mowing, trim and blow and now fall clean-ups. My spray guy is ok, but he talks a little much to clients but yet he is an awesome people person cuz he seems to get new referrals all the time. He knocks out 20 in a day where as I shoot for 30 in a day. These are regular sized yards but time is money to me and being boss man I think I am the most expensize man on payroll.

Any of guys in this position or not? IF so what do you do or don't do.
  2. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Well, that's why you make the most $. You ARE the best guy you've got. Now I'm not yet in this position. But I have run crews in my origional trade. So take my insight for what it is worth. Try giving an enery drink or method of energy to your guys around 1:30-2:00. It may help him out enough to be worth it to you cost-wise. Or you can start earlier. Studies show that we get our best work out before 1:00. And worst out after 3:00. The method that worked best for me was giving the list of things to do for my guys daily. If they got all of it done early, I still pay them for the whole day. The only thing about this method is that you will have to watch your guys closely for quality assurance for awhile, as they will try to cut corners. As for your spray guy....he needs a reality check. You need him to produce a certain quantity a day. If he can do that and chit-chat, them alright. As far as his referals go, I would simply offer an incentive for that per job. This will let him know that you will gladly conpensate his efforts, but he also has a role in this company's production.:cool2:
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

that's jsut the way it is.....

I have a guy that I cant seem to pound into his head to slow down.....

he makes stupid mistakes. today he filled up the oil in the chain saw....

he failed to secure the cap properly.... then he always says well it's not my fault....
    he dont seem to understand that no one wants to point fingers, we want the issue resolved and prevent if from happening again....

I just cant make him slow down.... As far as the Enegry drinks. I wouldn't do that... to be honest it sounds dangerous to me. But that's jsut me.

worst things I have seen " comming from upper managment" is when a Co. depects employees against employees....

a race, a bonus, extra time off, and such. you have to remember that these guys are Hourly employees and they will find ways to take care of themselves. "there pay" everyone seems to be out to stick it to the man...

If indeed you are into the bonus issue's make it a team effort. NEVER employee against employee

your guys that talks to everyone, is your best assett. He's what's called a

front man.

Have you ever noticed large companies like Mrs. Smith pies..... well I hate to burst your bubble.... but there is NO Mrs. Smith....

She's the front man for the company, you seem to be very lucky in having yours.
    sounds like this guy is giving the customer that warm fuzzy they all seek so desperatly. He's the guy that you want for a manager, he knows the importance of C.S.

I hate to tell you this but it sounds like you need to restructure your Company.

it looks like you are a hard worker, so you are the one that needs to be in the field working, and being a crew leader.
    your spray man needs to be getting the contracts,

some people are just better at sales than others

Remember it's your JOB to utlize your labor, it will work if you reconize who's best at what and then keep them there.

Good Luck
  4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

If your spray guy quits "Chit Chatting" with your customers, all those referrals will go out the window. I used to work for a big corporation and hated it because.... They wanted results, but wanted to take away your ability to get those results in the name of efficiency. Thats what you are doing to the spray guy.
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

No one will work and worry as much as the man who owns the business, you are responsible for everything and that is the way it will always be. As the old saying has it "the buck stops here", which means you are the alpha and omega in your line of work by being the owner. You are the beginning and the end, everything that goes on in between is all your responsibility. When your employee's are at work everyday, on time and give you a steady full days work, that is really all you can ask. They do not have the incentive you do to try and get as much done as possible in a day, you want to generate income and they are making a daily wage which is a totally different thought process.
    You are pretty lucky this day and time to get employee's that will work period.
  6. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Alright, let's say the referrals go out the window. The man is operating at 65% of the expected rate per day. Does he bring in 35% of the business he services? If so, he makes up for it. If not, I think he should be checked. Not to say that you can't be courtious. We have to be friendly to our customers and their neighbors. But when I am busy, I don't hesitate to let my customers know after a couple of minutes.
  7. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

David is boss, he is the best guy out there on the crew, And he talks more than anyone I know! But, that's beside the point...

Same boat as you. By 2 or 3 everyone except David wants to go home...he mosty mocks them and calls them sissy and they all finish the day. Not the most diplomatic, I know.

He's tried taking off at 2pm and telling them to come back at 5, but they never show up again. Once their gone, that's it.

Now, right now, we are lucky...the luckiest we have been in 7 years. We have the best 2-man crew in all of lawncare history right here. And David has been free to do other things, more spraying, trimming, selling, etc. (We will knock on wood now.) They show up every morning on time, no extended breaks, no equipment problems, no complaints, and they knock out the schedualed yards on-time everyday, work till dark if necessary. I have no idea where they came from, but if I find out I will let you know!

See, you have a little more stock in the company than they do. It's your baby, not theirs. They just want the pay and then they want to go home and do whatever they do. Most likely they don't care nearly as much as you do, because they are not invested in it like you are.
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That is wonderful, are they full blooded American or of another nationality?
  9. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Two black guys. One's from Oakland, CA and the other a local here in AL. (No Illegals for us.) One's been with us for almost a year now. The other since August. They are a great team.
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I here what your saying. There job on the property is the way my biz looks at the end of the day. I don't feel as though i have to babysit all the time and constantly be on there butt's cuz I get tired of that. If I see one guy who is just slacking and not carrying there weight - there with me for a day or weeks. They will either get it or they call me at 10 pm and say they can no longer work.

Spray man - he is good but without a little butt slappen - he would talk more and spray less. The referrals do not meet the 35% less of production he losses but I figure every new client is one less dollar on advertising (which is another issue).