Productivity with 48 vs 60 inch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by avjohnson, Jan 28, 2008.

1. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

I have a bunch of mowing accounts that I can do in a little less than 2 days. I have a Scag belt drive 48 which is great and work solo. Things go fine when weather is good but I often get behind whenever it rains or something else gets in the way. I'm considering hiring someone and getting a second mower, or just getting a bigger hydro mower like a 60 inch Scag to make ME more productive. Does it really make that much difference? Most of my places have enough room for a 60inch but may be pretty bumpy if using a velky and going fast. Plus, does the quality of cut go down when you can go faster on a hydro? With the belt drive, if I speed way up there are often grass stands that don't get cut.

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

just getcha a good hydro 52"..you'll be set

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Add up two 48's together 96"s. Thats faster then any 60" mower. You will need someone else to weedwack. Two cutting one trimming

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Last year I was dragging behind a 44 Toro WB on all my accounts. I started getting bigger lots and bought a 66 Zturn. The ease and speed was an incredable change. I still use the 44 where I have to but those places are fewer than you would think. The Exmark distributors advice was to get the biggest mower that would still fit on the yards I did. Im glad I did.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's good advice.
    The production gain is huge.
    The larger the area, the more apparent it is.

6. John Gamba

from ct

You will need to turn alot slower with the rider if your property's are smaller in size. you will have a rutting problem also. With two walks one can brake down and you will still have the other. Its a no brainer.

7. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60" walk behind (eXmark TT) which works great. There is a big difference over a 48. I would suggest that over an employee and another 48 unless you have a lot more work coming your way.

8. John Gamba

from ct

I'm back. Riders do not do hills well. they do not go under low trees,bushes.It all depends on what type of prop you are doing.60" Turf tracers are sweet.