Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by houston, May 21, 2004.

1. houston

houston LawnSite Member

Don't know if this is where this thread belongs, but don't see another place for it.

Is the profanity used in the threads on this site really necessary?

I know it is only used by and large by a minority of the people here but do we really need "f" this and "f" that, I'm really p*ssed, etc.

I can cuss like a sailor also but what point does it prove?

My opinion is that it is not needed here and that you can get your point across without it (profanity and implied profanity).

Whats your thoughts?
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i think you will have some that agree, and some that disagree and will tell you to get a life.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

*&%#*&% to you to buddy..................just kidding.......................

You make a good point.
  4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I was always taught that people use a profane word when they do not have an adequate vocabulary to express the true feelings they intend to get across.

I guess I'll just leave it at that.

I agree, it is not necessary, but I wouldn't go so far to say I never use it either. There's a time and a place for everything, I think simply this is not the place.
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I feel the same way twins, I have always prided myself on not having to resort to using profanity to get my point across, but sometimes there is just the perfect time, place or circumstance that leaves profane language in a well placed spot.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think you're a ***** for even bringing it up.
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I LOVE to swear. I think I picked it up from my father. Been swearing as long as I can remember. Nothing better than blasting out a good ole 'f-bomb' to express your feelings. It is just a word. I certainly try to not do it in public, around children, while working. But when I'm just hanging out and being me, I love to swear.

Adding an ass or hell now and then on the board isn't so bad, but it doesn't need to be done often, I suppose. Especially in the professional areas.

Btw, I consider myself to have a large vocabulary. Both in accepted, proper english and profane language.

8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Like all things, the use of swear words has a place and a time. I use swearing at times to emphasize a message I am trying to convey. I never cuss when talking to a customer unless they cuss first. I dont trust people who dont use a cuss word now and then. When I come on here I come to relax and see what I can learn. I dont give much thought to my grammer because frankly I dont care, but I try to be polite and not make a ass out of my self.
  9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

the only time i swear is when i run out of beer:drinkup: :drinkup:
  10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

The only time I swear is when no one else is around...mostly when I'm mad at myself. It's true what twins_lawn_care said.