1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

profesional help needed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fishindude, Feb 17, 2006.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

I am going to start my lawn care business within the next month. I have already read and studied on what I need to know about advertising, small business ideas, insurance and etc. What I am having trouble with is the equipment to buy. I am going to start by myself and gradually build. I have a small nest egg that will allow me to afford some nice equipment, but don't want to startup with to much overhead. I would like a medium/large walk behind, blower, edger, trimmer, etc. I already have a trailer that will accommodate most walk behinds. Truck is another matter, but will work with what I have for now. I have looked at grasshopper, eXmarks, husky, toro, wright, sentar, lesco, scag, cub cadet, redmax, and ariens but only at the web sites. They all pretty much say the same things. Please, I need some professional help. Thanks eric
  2. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

i started out w/ a 48 snapper wb,stihl weed whip an blower....
    any decent half ton truck will do almost anything u want to do w/ it.
    just dont go crazy like some do,but do buy knew mowers,will last u alot longer,an no else has beat it ....hammer
    i myself like snapper commerical mowers....cant beat them for the $$$:cool2:
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are going to buy new then try last years model you can usualy get it a bit cheaper . or even a demo .but most of all try em all before you buy .no wait i am sorrry , most of all make sure what ever you buy be sure you have a dealer close by. you dont want to drive an hour away to replaxce something simple.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah before you get dizzy with all the different brands, visit a few local dealers. You'll want to buy a brand that they carry so you can get parts and service. With new equipment you shouldn't have many problems the first year, but, if something does go wrong you don't want to have to drive 2 hours for service.

If a lot of your potential clients have fences you'll need something to fit thru the gates of course, if a 36 will do that, it's not a bad size to start with. If you can afford to you could always buy a larger deck to speed things up on the open lawns and also buy a 36 or smaller for the gates.
  5. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

When I first started I leased a 60" exmark laser and bought a $100 push mower...I had zero acounts but you know what? When I did get the acounts and filled up a nice schedule I was happy I went with a quality mower.

So you buy a cheap mower for 3-4 grand, the thing breaks down all summer and looks like crap. Looks unproffesional and is mostly just a headache with repairs and other bullshit...

I say, if your going to commit to starting a real company show some confidence and make your first investment toward something thats going to make the real difference even if it costs some dough...which for us in the lawn care service is ummmm...a nice lawn mower. As far as brands go Im familiar with Exmark and Toro...never used anything else so I'll let the others comment on different brands.My 2 cents.