professional help/opin.- homeowner ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jceh1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

I need to replace my old John Deere 111 and have decidded I would like to get a ZTR, but can't justify spending too much. Have about an acre with alot of plantings, pretty level ground. I can't help being drawn to the Cub cadet with a 22 HP B & S twin cylinder & 50 inch deck. It seems pretty sturdy (compared to the tractor type mowers I am used to), though I realize some others - Hustler, Dixon, etc. are probably a lot sturdier, and will probably last longer, but they are alot more money, and for the most part don't have the same amount of power or the twin cylinders on the low end versions. I would appreciate a pro's thoughts on whether the Cub is adequate for my needs. Again, I realize it is not going to last me a lifetime.

Thanks.

2. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

I was just trying to get some opinions from professionals on this issue, which many of you have already responded to, but they moved my post back here (I know the commercial equip. area is supposed to be for just commercial but I saw so many non-commercial posts there I thought it would be OK - guess not)
    I apologize to those of you who have already seen this question and are reading it again. By way of further info. though, the comments provided to me have lead me to at least seek out Hustler for a look (if I can find a dealer in the Long Island/Metro NY area that has them in stock - any suggestions please let me know), but I believe it is probably going to be too expensive for me. If so, the Cub is still looking loke my best bet.
    Thanks all, and feel free to keep the comments and suggestions flowing, as I am still on the fence and appreciate all of your thoughts. I will post when I finally make the decision (which should be pretty soon as the grass is growing!)

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If Your not looking to spend alot of money Go with the cub, But keep in mind you only get what you pay for and sometimes less.

4. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

How about a eXmark ZTR? My dealer gets them in all the time. Amityville area...

5. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

Thought ExMarks were more expensive than Hustlers, at least the small ones I was looking at. Any recommended dealers on Long Island are appreciated.

6. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

Exmarks are more expensive than Hustlers. When I recently researched, best price on a mini 42 was $3450 with a Kohler, the same w/Honda was $3650 and I got my 20 hp Honda 52 FasTrac for $4850. I was stuck like you were on price. I had no idea they cost so much b/c I was used to seeing the $3000 range at Lowes & HD. I still have my orange Scotts by JD tractor from HD 7 yrs later! So if u get the Cub it may last. However, the uncertainty of reliability, lackluster consumer cub discussion, Briggs engine, inability of engaged PTO when in reverse, lighter grade steel & fabricated deck helped me decide against the cub or anything offered at the large stores.

The uniformed poz opinion of the Hustler, 4 yr warranty, Honda engine, heavy gauge steel deck, local small dealer helped justify my decision. Note, not sure if you ever can financially justify it! :)

7. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

Give Tom a call.
    Cross Roads Power Equipment inc.
    484 Broadway (Route 110)
    Amityville NY 11701
    631 789-3430

Tell him Brian with the Bradley 32 sent you :waving:

Not sure on the price differences between Hustler and eXmark but a call can't hurt...
    Good luck.
    Brian