"Professional" Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by lawnstriper23, Oct 3, 2008.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

So I came home from work one day to find this schmoo cutting the common area behind my house. I have told the management company for my development that one day somebody is going to get hurt using a ztr on the mound behind my house. Whelp, this guy made it all the way from the top of the mound to the base without getting hurt, but it could have been worse. The only thing that was damaged was the turf (the same turf that I fertilize, weed, overseed, aerate, etc) and probably this kids feelings. I am sure you can see the damage caused by the laziness to use a walk behind mower. This was being cut on a rainy day and you should see the ztr's rear tires. Not a good combination....What a schmuck....

lawn3.jpg

lawn2.jpg

2. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

can you explain to me why you can cut a hilly yard with a ztr because i was stopped in my yard yesterday by another lco the other day while pressure washing my driveway and was told that the yard needs to be cut with a push mower. and that my current lco cutting the lawn with a ztr is wrong..any suggestions

3. lawnstriper23

So, over the 5 years that I have lived in my current home there has been three times I have personally witnessed a ztr being flipped on this mound (I even assisted one of the times with helping the operator because he was stuck under the machine). The person cutting usually drives horizontal with the mound (which you can see in the picture by the tire tracks) which I think is putting yourself at risk because of the slope of the mound. Now I am not an expert, but when you see ztr being flipped this many times you have to wonder. :confused:

4. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

He should have cut the hill up and down not side to side.

5. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

That hill would like *&^( if you cut it up and down. You'd have to raise the deck at the top to keep from scalping, and keeping it even would be difficult. Plus at the bottom, you'd have uncut grass from the approach angle.

6. lawnstriper23

This is the reason I suggested the walk behind. I just think the slope of the mound is too steep with a ztr, especially when damp and basically slicks for tires.

7. Green Team Landscaping

Oh I guess the slope is steeper than it looks, but I think using a push mower would be stupid to use. Maybe at the bottom for the part where the mower couldnt reach, but the whole thing, thats stupid.

8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah he should be using a walk behind.

9. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

exactly what the lco told me.. i just thought he was trying to underbid the guy who does my lawn on the sly by saying that the guy was burning my lawn using the tractor on my hilly lawn.. he says he'll get 3 guys with push mowers to mow the lawn correctly..i just dont know

10. Green Team Landscaping

In this guy's defense, what if he can't afford a walkbehind? Sure they're cheap, and it would be a whole lot more expensive to repair it after it's flipped up-side-down on that hill, but maybe this is his biggest source of income, and he thinks "Hey if the eXmark can do it, maybe a little rought, why do I need a walkbehind?". If the managment hasn't said anything about it, you may want to have a word with them, but you cant come across as if you wanted to take the job for yourself and steal if from this guy.