1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

professional memberships

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by G&Plawn, Jul 14, 2003.

1. G&Plawn

G&Plawn LawnSite Member

I posted a thread asking about Professional asociations and if there memberships are usefull or not on the new to the business board
    same question any good leads on who to check out for info and memberships if they are worth it or not
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you like credit card or account numbers too?
    Believe the lack of response in all but generic type assoc. is due to want of privacy.
  4. Check the PLCAA and ALCA for state chapters. Local chapters offer better networking opportunities for a small business.
    As far as worth - a lot depends on what you do with it. Look at what they offer and decide if you see any value to yourself.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

PLCAA is the first that I would go with.

I am also a member of the Better Business Bureau...what a waste of money it was!!!
  6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We are registered with

Cooperative Extension
  7. Valley LC

Valley LC LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Is there a web site that shows all the associations that exist for your specific state?
  8. not by state but a good alphabetical list

e-mail plcaa, alca, etc. and ask for local chapters
  9. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

How many times have you been asked by potential clients about your professional memberships? Probably zero. I currently am not a member of any professional organization because of my experience in the corporate world prior to starting my own lawn/landscape business. In the corporate world I was a member of several organizations mainly due to peer pressure and being told to do so by supervisors. I quickly found out that most of the members who joined did so because of their own professional inadequacies and paranoia of being a failure. By joining they felt comfortable being with other people who shared the same problems.
    If you think that joining an organization will make you more "worthy" of being selected to get more contracts, you are wrong. In this business your work ethic, professionalism, and a job well done will get you many more jobs than by having a lot of acronyms on your business cards.
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

what you say makes sense.

In this industry. At least the associations I belong to provide valuable information. They inform me of changes in the laws DOT, DEC and so on. Also these associations provide seminars where I can maintain my credits for pesticide recertification.

They also lobby in our State Capitol on our behalf.

So am I all for memberships? You bet 1,000%