professional opinion needed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BW4486, May 9, 2004.

1. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

OK I know there's nothing you irrigation guys hate more than seeing an irrigation job some unprofessional idiot has screwed up.
    But I was wondering what you guys thought about running a few pop-ups off a regular house spiggot. I just need to keep a small area of shrubs irrigated and Im getting tired of doing it with a water hose. I was thinhing of using 1/2 in pipe connected to a piece of hose sticking out at the spiggot that I could unscrew if I needed.

I was just wondering what you guys thought

Its on my house so if it doesn't work I can just dig it up
    And again Im not some idiot out trying to install an irrigation system when I have no business doing it.\

please let me know what you think

2. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Not the proper way to go but if its yours go for it. Just be sure to install some type of backflow device at the spigot

3. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Another reason i'm thinking of using this is, there's a concrete driveway between the area and all other water sources, and I don't feel like trenching under it.

4. ldr1976

ldr1976 LawnSite Member

Just make a trial run before going for it. Frost free hydrants can restric flow and pressure big time. I seen some not able to put 1.5gal out and 30psi.

5. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Its an older house and we dont get much frost down here and pressure doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks for the help, Ill try it and see if it works

6. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Backflow preventor is a good advice.
    Might even suggest a Water timer with built in valves and Hose style connections, available at most supply stores.

7. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

would the backflow prev. screw to the spiggot or would I glue it to the pipe or what?

8. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

backflow preventors come in either national pipe or hose thread, pick up a hose thread style and tap it right on the Spigot.

9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

thanks for all the replies

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

hb backflows aren't used in Fla.