1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Professional quality limbing chainsaw

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by WayneJessie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

I need a small top quality saw. Top handle. Brands locally are Stihl, Husky, Redmax, Dolmar, Shindiawa, and Maruyama. Any to stay away from?
  2. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have experience with tanaka echo and stihl top handles. Stihl 192 or 200 t is the only way to go in my opinion. I have also dealt with stihl 020 and 009. The 192 and 200 is hands down the way to go.
  3. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Stihl or Husky would be my picks.
  4. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl 200t is THE benchmark. Unfortunately it's also out of production. It's been replaced by the 201t. Not quite as warmly welcomed as the older version. Seem to be better now than when they first hit the market.

Is this to be a climbing saw? If so, the 200t or 201t is king ding dong.

If its to be used on the ground, forget top handles.

The 200t has a cult like following. I've seen NOS ones sell for near a grand. Yes, they are that much better than Echo, Redmax, Dolmar, even Husky.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

im going to echo what was said about the ms200. I unfortunately was not able to snag one before they went out of production and used ones are going for 6-700 here.

I have read many negative reviews on teh 201's so tread carefully. Many pro tree guys say they'd rather step down to a 192 instead of dealing with the new 201s

That being said I found a brand new 192 on craiglist that I'm picking up this week for a great deal.
  6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

7. GrassGuerilla

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer was got a new one in the other day and it looked cool. I'll never do enough tree work to need one so I'll stick to my 260 pro.
  9. GrassGuerilla

My 026 Pro is still my go to saw. Just "feels right". It's getting close to antique status.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stihl ms200t and ms201t I prefer to use the ms200t over the 201t but lately I've been using the 201t and its not all that bad. not as powerful as my 7 year old 200t but still better then the 192t i had. those just don't have the power.