1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Professional??? Scrub??? Inbetween????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

As I browse the threads posted on LS.com I cant help but notice how everyone talks about their quality of work. When does that quality of work qualify someone to be called a "professional"? There needs to be some sort of guidelines on who are the true professionals, and who are new LCO's. The rules should follow something like 5 years of experience quality an LCO to be called a professional.

These are just some thoughts i have had. There needs to be more regulation in the Green industry.

does this make sense to anyone or did i waste my time?
  2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Only 16 and been mowing for 6 years. 3 years with commerical stuff, does that make me a Pro???
  3. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

good point youngdude. there should be an age limit in these considerations. at least 18. maybe 21.
  4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is left up to everyone on their own to judge for themselves.

I don't have time to judge people, or label them. I just feel better about my business when I see another company I feel not doing as good a job as me, and when I see someone doing a better job than me, I try and learn from it.

The terms scrub, pro, etc. are all relative depending on who you are talking to.

Call me a scrub, or call me a pro, that's not important to me. Me seeing the bottom line and being able to provide for my family, that's what's on my mind!payup
  5. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

2 possible 5 years till im a pro...lol
  6. Trevors Lawn Care

I agree that it is up to the person, but I am talking regulation wise, If regulations were to be put on this industry. What guidelines would there be to go by. I think 5 or 6 years of work experience is a good start. You have to do a residency to become a doctor?! I know they are two totally different fields, but there are restrictions in other fields, so there should be some with our industry as well. I myself would not be considered a pro until next year under these circumstances.

Food for thought

7. Cleatus

Cleatus LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

i will always choose less regluation.

if experience were one of the factors in considering professionalism, i think 5-6 years of full time experience is too much. i would say 3 years FULL TIME 40+ hrs/wk, 7-8 months/yr experience. at least one of those years being as a foreman, running a crew.
  8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Trevors Lawn Care:
    Good point here. I think this is a goal that the PLCAA and other such organizations are going for via certifications. I fully agree with twins_lawn_care (as i find myself doing alot lately) and i would have to say that i rather fall into much the same catagory.

As for posting on here that is a different story. Let's just say we are all LCO's and those here that have high professionalism can set the standard for where we should all try to get. Those that want to succeed will listen and follow will do as such. Those that dont will reap what they sow in thier own ways. I dont need to be the leader in this race, i just want to be able to follow a better driver.:D
  9. Trevors Lawn Care

good call acute...I guess my standards so far have come from this site, and everyone calling themselves professionals. The only thing is we can't really see any of their work.
  10. lowmiler

lowmiler LawnSite Member

A professional is one who is paid for their work. Otherwise it is a hobby. We may not all have professional quality. But we all, hopefully, get paid.