1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Professional service & liability for property owner

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Nebraska, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

2. That is one of the reasons that I do not carry insurance. I figure that if I get hurt at a customers property they will be liable and I can just collect from their home owners policy. I guess before taking a grass cutting job I should really check and make sure that they have a up to date policy from a quality insurance company.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Choupique is offering some great advice, we should all consider this approach more seriously! :)
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i cancelled all my policies yesterday. drafted a letter informing my customers that a copy of their policy must be in my office by the end of the month.

cause choupieman told me too:laugh:
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

That statement was talking about workmen's compensation. What if the business is a sole prop. and is a solo operation and the owner of the company chooses to opt out workmen's comp? How does this protect the company and also the property owner?
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in a similar situation to Greenman. My company is an LLC and has no employess (not even my wife and I), so workmens comp. is not required. I do have general liability and equipment coverage.

This is the reason I tell people that frankly I think they're nuts and they should speak with their attorney about letting little Johnny from down the street mow their law (with their mower sometimes).

If it comes down to me having to get workmens comp. insur. to be totally legitimate, I guess that's what I'll do.
  7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

That is my situation almost. There is a form that can be obtained and filled out to opt out workman's comp. I think its costs around $25 for 2 years here. I think that form means that the solon operators has no workman's comp and that the owner is NOT responsible for any injuries that may result on his/her property. I could be wrong,though. I am hoping someone will know about this and can provide some input.
  8. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Yes, it's called a CNC card here (Certificate of Non-Coverage) contact your Dept of Labor for one.
    Hope this helps
  9. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

Before all of you go out and cancel your insurance....some thoughts.........

1. You should carry liability insurance to protect your business and personal assets.................when that rock flys out of the mower and hit's that 3 year old dead in the face, you will get sued and may lose what we spend so much time working for.

2. This is not to mention the fact, your business should probably be a corporation as opposed to sole prop, partnership, etc. for even more liability protection.

3. In most states WC is not required unless you have 4 or more employees and the owner can be exempt as an employee.......be advised even if you don't have WC and one of your employees gets hurt, YOU are still responsible for their medical costs.

Suggest you check with your CPA and insurance carrier before you go nuts on the insurance issue. It's expensive but affordable.
  10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Frankly, I can't believe I'm hearing that people are cancelling policies in the hopes that your customers would willingly accept liability for your or your employee's injuries.

Occasionally I get asked for copies of our insurance coverages, and every contractor-type show you see tells homeowners to ask for proof of ins. If you tell them "Naw, we don't carry it. In fact, lemme see your proof of insurance", I think you can presume that will be your last meeting with them.