Professionalism.......SO WHAT, I NEED MY MONEY!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Jul 24, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

We talk about this all the time but, i have some issues. Do any of you stop by your clients house to collect when payment isn't recieved in the mail? I never have, until yesterday. I decided to stop by a few places to get some payments because I'm need the money and hell, they need to PAY! When I got home my wife ripped me a new one saying, "THAT'S NOT PROFESSIONAL, YOU LOOK LIKE THE KID FROM DOWN THE STREET TRYING TO GET PAID!" I told her that they owe me money and I'm sick and tired of letting them get away with it. It just seems the most simple, hassle free way to get my money. I don't want to pay to put them through collections or court.

So what do you guys do? HELP ME OUT, WAS I WRONG?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Keep sending them a bill with the proper interest. If they call the police they can have you removed with a trespass. But sometimes what you did will work.
    John

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Normally no, I dont, but I did earlier this year and I think it's ok. She told me to come back tomorrow and I will pay you. I told her to write me a check and I will hold it until it clears. "oh, I dont have checks, I will have to get you a cashiers check!" I will invoice one more time and give them one week. If still no check, I am bringing in the lawyers. In the past I just write it up as a lost, but not anymore I am not.

4. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time my clients pay rite after services are finished they now it is just like any where else. I mow you pay , i have some that pay the next day such as other contractors that i do work for on a regular bases.

Very few get billed only thoses that i know very well.,,,,,,,,,,,,,:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

5. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

How about a phonecall? You didn't mention that in the OP.

Also, what we have done in the past twice is stack their big potted plants and children's toys and hoses and other debris right in front of the front door with an extremely polite, professional note asking for them to give us a call. It worked both times. They called up right away kind of suprised and astounded and a little perturbed, but they new they had it coming so they didn't get all fussy about it. They paid promptly and we still have them as clients. We showed them we mean business and then we sort of forced them to want to avoid difficult ingress/egress to their house!

Call me stupid, but I used my judgment, AND it worked.

In three years and about $35,000 (90 or so various customers) I have only wrote off $25 as uncollectable.

Good solid, routine billing habits and turning down some work because of seeing right through some people's intentions in the beginning have helped me, but then again, I don't do a ton of business so I don't have a ton of experience.

6. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah, and it's my (little) experience that paying by hand at the property does not work. In fact, I refuse to take checks or cash by hand. Many reasons: they weren't home, no documentation, they forget then the next time they owe double but don't remember, I could go on and on.

If your bill is amongst all their others in the mail, it gets paid, period.

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I have called them and no response. I WILL GET MY MONEY!

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've never made a special trip to a customers house, but I have knocked on a few doors before mowing for that week. Usually that works.

If it looks like an honest oversight I usually just call them.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We just went and collected on 2 accounts today. We have been mowing every week all year so far and neither of them have sent a dime. Both paid right away. We dont get mad because we know these customers are always late and we always have to go collect but they always pay when we do.

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

it has been proven that if you include a return envolope with your billing,,,,the customer will mail you your check faster!

but no you were not unprofessional by stopping by for payment! the newspaper guy will do it in a heart beat!