professionals don't make that much

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KDLAWN, Jun 19, 2002.

1. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

I went and priced a yard the other day and walked the yard. it sloped pretty steep in front, some of the back is flat and then slops from a retaining wall. there is just as much trimming to do as grass to mow. and then I have edging to do. 60% has to be mowed with a 21" push mower because of the steep banks.

so I quoted her 65 dollars and was low at that. she said that she could only afford $40. so we sat and talked for a few. Before leaving I told her that I would do it one time for $40 just to see if it was worth it. O by the way she wants it bagged. so I cut, trimmed, edged and blew off. took me two hours to do. I told her that it just was not worth $40 for two hours of work. She told me that for Two hours of work that sounded reasonable to her. I tried to explain to her that up keep on equip. gas, and bills that have to be paid it was not worth $40. She went on to tell me that professionals don't make much more that.

I have been mowing yard now for a few years and take pride in my work. I don't rush through just to get it done most of the time.

so needless to say I will not be mowing her yard .

what do ya'll think on this.... was I to low on my est. price...

2. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

i dont know the lady but if u went higher..maybe she would of went higher too

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Technicians make more than that today, let alone professionals!! Either the woman has no idea what real professionals make, her reference is back in the '60s, or what she defines as a professional is way of!. JD

4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Professionals don't make that much? Then thats their problem
    not yours.You have a business to run.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My response would have been "Ma'am, I am a professional". 2 hours work here is going to cost her 90 dollars.

6. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Was she inferring that you are not a professional? I hope not.

jim

7. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

She must be talking about a professionals' net hourly pay. Apples and oranges.

Hire an accounting firm for two hours, or..
    a plumber, or a bull dozer...

She's not employing a person for two hours, but contracting a business for two production hours of work.

:rolleyes:

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

reminds me of the lady once told me she could get an electrician cheaper than me.
    u guessed it . i told her next time her lawn needed care call that electrician.
    that really happened, long time ago.:)

9. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Good call. And did she follow your advice?

jim

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont know jim ,but u can bet whoever did it ,left there w pocket change.:)