Profit margin percentage on larger jobs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by silentbob, Mar 30, 2008.

1. silentbob

silentbob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Just wondering what everyone tries to calculate for a typical profit percentage on a large job. Say something like a $20,000 install including mulch, plants, labor, etc. If the total charge to the customer was $20k, what type of percentage would you/should you expect to make?

From what I've heard from other LCO's, typically 25% or so is the norm. So, on a $20k job, you would profit around $5k.

Does that sound right?

2. silentbob

silentbob LawnSite Member
    from NJ

:confused:Are you kidding me? 40 views and not one person has a response?

I'm not asking for hard numbers, just what everyone thinks is about average (percentage-wise) to try to make on a med-large job...

3. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I'm only doing small jobs (under 3k) but it seems the margins are more like 40 - 60 percent. Yes I have a license and insurance.

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yah, I typically shoot for 40% - 60% depending on numerous factors. But i have a real control on my costs and overhead, and we work extremely efficient.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

In that case, you are all making $60k per year when you gross $100k. I'm not buying that.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

You talking to me?

7. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We do a lot of maintenance and those margins are much skinnier so it's hard to tell. I'd bet that if I had the business to do one 2 grand job a week all year long, I could stuff away 40 - 60 percent. Maybe I'm way out of wack, but it doesn't seem so crazy to me.

8. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

I'm hitting around 25%-35% in my Landscaping projects.

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

i hope we are not talking net profit---if you are ive been pricing way to low for the past 12 years

10. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Silent,

I calculate my material cost and mark up a minimum of 30%. However, I try to mark up plant material at least 50% for replacement, etc. I estimate my labor cost and mark up 30% also. However, these are currently under review and may be increased soon.