Profit Margin?!?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by haybaler, Mar 6, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

ok, I did a search on this and found some great threads, but nothing to answer this question. What is a good realistic number to shoot for in terms of Profit Margin. I've heard that a very well run restuarant in a good location can make 20% profit. I only made 5% last year, but I invested heavily in equipment. I want to set a goal this year, but what is realistic?? 10,15%? I want to be able to look at a job and figure the cost and then ad and certain % profit. what's the magic no.? please help me.

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

30%

Tim

3. haybaler

from ma

wow, that sound high, But this is why I asked the question, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

4. haybaler

from ma

Ok, so I was just reading through the "how much do you want to take home in a day" thread. sorta what I had in mind, but people are going all over the place talking about how many hours in a day and saying "as much as possible" or just picking numbers out of a hat. I want some cold hard figures here. this isn't rocket science and it's not chance either. we need to know what were making and what we should be making.

5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year was roughly 16.5% of my gross after taxes.
    That is lawns, Snow, Caretaking and some other services I do for my customers.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I agree 30% is a good target number. Franchise businesses wont even consider an operation that is not at least 20% You can survive at the lower numbers but to have the freedom to grow the business you need to be higher.

7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you maint. or install?

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

for my year end figures we were about 30% too.

9. haybaler

from ma

both. I assume hardscape construction is higher profit than lawn mowing, but I want to hear numbers from everyone.

10. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

take us through your bid thought process when bidding a new install, say 20K sq ft lawn and (25 yards of topsoil 10 yards of mulch for beds) and 3k in bushes, regular shaped lot, no grade issues.

How much did you have in new equipment last year $$ ??