profit mark up for subbing out weed/pest control

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rockcrusher4x4, Feb 14, 2003.

1. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 LawnSite Member

first post, I am wondering what the usual profit mark up is on top of the sub-contractors price for weed/pest control.
    Thanks in advance
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think 15 to 20 percent is pretty much standard for all subs.
  3. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I am doing this for all of my accounts this year, last year I would just refer to a friend of mine that only does chemicals and he would do the same. Our deal is I do the billing to the customer and the customer only speaks to me, and I pay this guy - 15%.
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We try to get 25% on any sub work ... We sub out quite a bit of irrigation work ….We looked long and hard at starting an irrigation division this season but decided against it because of the good percentage we are getting with limited problems. We have an excellent sub that coordinates well with us and does quality work.
  5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yea 15-20% would be nice, however it depends on how much they are charging you. If your customer finds out you are 15-20% higher than if they had hired someone else oh man hang on.

Just a thought, you are aware that in Michigan if you are not licenced to apply pesticides you can not advertise that service. If I remember right you CAN sub it out if a customer requests that service but you then have to tell them in writing who will be doing it and that you are subbing it out.

Some guys got letters around me from the Department of ag telling them to stop advertising pesticide apps since they were not licensed.
  6. rockcrusher4x4

rockcrusher4x4 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, Yes you can sub but not advertise which I don't I just have a couple of commercial accounts that want me to set up the service so I was trying to find out what I should mark up thier price.
    Thanks agian