Profit on a spray rig?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by o-so-n-so, Nov 6, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

How much can i potentially profit from incorporating a Pest & Fert program into my already existing business. What is the basic price per 1000 sq. for a Pest program (including weeds) on turf grass lawn? I will be studying for the cert test this winter.

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

It is profitable, like all businesses, if you know what you are doing. From the sounds of things, you're not ready. Your questions are too broad. Take some time, ask more specific questions, and talk to potential suppliers. They are a great resource. Get certified, as you said, and you will be on your way to learning. Like I said, come back with more specific questions.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a number of things to research and consider before embarking on this.

Being new to this type of business, here is an idea what I did recently:

Build a proposed fert and weed control schedule for lawns in your area. One for each type of turf which shows what products you plan to use during a full season. Check around for your cost of purchasing the materials.

Look at one single application. Estimate the product cost, your labor, travel, overhead, and markup rate to arrive at your price for the service. Everyone's operating costs are different, so your price should be set accordingly. I typically calculate a price for 5k, 10k, and 15k lawns because most properties fall in that size range.

After calculating that, you should have a per application price nailed down. You have to decide on charging per application or a flat price for 1 year of service. Some clients will have preferences on that. Either way, you have to communicate in writing what your service covers and what it does not. For example, a disease issue requiring fungicides would not be covered in the regular program.

Keep in mind that even if you purchase a tank, most of the routine applications can be done with granular products.

You may also find less competition in this area of business. Most LCO's have not gone through the process of getting licensed and insured for this type of work. Your main competition will be the larger companies like TruGreen/Chemlawn for example.

4. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

The reason my questions are broad at this time is because this is my very first step into the applicators world...so bear with me. I will agree...I am not ready yet........but you got to start somewhere and i thought you guys would save me a few steps. My business plan has me offering some type of weed control in the next season. If it takes till next fall or spring 06....it dosn't matter. I want to be educated (with in reason) and capable when I apply the first application.

Do I need to take a different approach?

Most of our grasses are warm season ( hybrid Bermuda being dominant) with crabgrass, nutsedge and some broadleafs as my main pest. I know of only one LCO that can manage a weed free turf. The rest are just taking a stab at it.....including the big companies.

All the comments are appreciated.............thanks

5. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

T-Unlimited speaks the gospel, It's more difficult to estimate your cost with regard to chems but it should be step 1 for anybody. I made a few boneheaded mistakes starting out with my estimating. Insist on a 1yr committment and you should probably avoid treating any grasses not normally found in your area or that have limited need for chem. I avoid the St. Aug and Centipede accts here in Atl because they don't need as much fert and take a somewhat specialized program; both of which can lead to less $$ in the pocket

6. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

Thanks for the info.............

7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thats exactly how I feel about bermuda here in SE Texas...less $$